1st time I'm HP soaping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balloons

Reaction score
It has been a few months since I have had time to soap. I was planning on giving CP soap for Christmas gift but I ran out of time. I figured I would try to HP soap today. My soap has been in the crockpot forever and it still seems to be zapping. Is something wrong with my recipe that I am missing? Thanks for your help.

6 oz castor oil
20 oz coconut oil
15 oz cottonseed oil
36 oz shortening
29.26 oz distiller water
11.01 oz lye

I ran it through the soap calc and I thought it was fine. I can't figure out why it's zapping me

I checked out your recipe, and all looks to be fine to me. :thumbup: [edited to add that the linoleic is very high- 30%- you may want to watch out for DOS]

How long has it been cooking, and at what temp? For comparison sake, I cook mine in my oven at 170F-180F and it's usually zapless within an hour or 2 at the most.

How accurate is your scale, and how big is your batch?

IrishLass :)

What brand of shortening are you using? Any chance you forgot a oil or mis-measured something?

It's been in the crockpot for at least 2 to 2 1/5 hours. Nothing is wrong with my scale. I'm using Walmart shortening.
If I mold it now and cut it later do you think the zapping will go away in time for Christmas?

You're not bursting my bubble! Glad to know this. The videos I have watched said it could be used that day or let it cure for a week. I guess I will be trying to bust out several batches of HP soap today. Thanks for your help!!!

You still have time to make CP if you get it done within the next couple days. I still have to make some of mine, as long as it has 4 weeks to cure it will be fine.

I wouldn't mold zappy HP, I would start to add small amount of a liquid oil until it stops zapping. A teaspoon at a time is a good place to start.

Ok....not molding it. I just added a small amount of liquid oil. I am gonna have to set my crockpot on warm because I have to leave the house. I needed to be somewhere over an hour ago. Hubby is gonna keep an eye on it for me so it doesn't burn.

Balloons, i'd go with Obsidians post. If mine still zaps I do the same, add 1tsp of oil, stirred in really well, then retest in a few minutes to see if it's worked. I'll add another tsp at a time if it hasn't worked, but so far have never gone beyond 2tsp. I wouldn't leave it still cooking. Even my castille batches only take 45mins to an hour to cook. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back