1st soap recipe take a peek?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nogud247

Reaction score
I'm a noob and don't know much about how the #s on the chart change how the soap feels and stuff. I'm planning on making soap tomorrow so any feedback on this would be great. Thank you in advance ;)

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1439083295.023060.jpg

I have absolutely no idea about lard soap. But I'm thinking it should be good. Good luck with your first batch! Don't forget we are here to trouble shoot should you need any help later.

That will be a nice soap, similar to one I make. That much lard will trace slow so don't panic if it take a bit to get it to trace. Most likely it will be ready to cut in 12 hours or so, if you wait too long it will get hard enough the edges could crumble when cut.

Do you have any castor oil? If so this is what I'd do:
60% lard
15% olive
15% coconut
10% castor
It should give you a better bubbly number than your original recipe but still be able to unmold fairly quickly and be comparable in the conditioning dept. Your original recipe is fine but since it's your first batch beware of false trace using that much lard and soaping at a low temp. Post pics of whatever you make!

That will be a nice soap, similar to one I make. That much lard will trace slow so don't panic if it take a bit to get it to trace. Most likely it will be ready to cut in 12 hours or so, if you wait too long it will get hard enough the edges could crumble when cut.

Great info, thank you!

Do you have any castor oil? If so this is what I'd do:
60% lard
15% olive
15% coconut
10% castor
It should give you a better bubbly number than your original recipe but still be able to unmold fairly quickly and be comparable in the conditioning dept. Your original recipe is fine but since it's your first batch beware of false trace using that much lard and soaping at a low temp. Post pics of whatever you make!

I don't have any castor oil but I will def keep this in mind for the future.

I think it will be a nice first soap :) If you have castor it would be nice to put in 5% castor oil, but if not, no worries.
Dont soap too hot or too cold (around 110-120 deg F), make sure you hit trace and get it in the mold. I usually cut at 24 hours, but start checking at 12 just in case.

Back