1st SMF Soap Challenge- July

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is kind of crazy to me that people are not agog at the prospects of free handmade soap. It is amazing and costs a lot at stores/markets, dummies (talking to the non-appreciators, not you guys, of course.)

Hubby says, people don't attach much value to freebies and most likely don't use them either. People who actually are into things homemade might really appreciate but those I find are far fewer.I still give away a lot to my friends and neighbors. I even gave some to the moving helpers. Let me just say, I get way more feedback on my culinary creations than on my soapy creations.

It is true, people seem to think more with their stomachs than their noses. The ones that like the soap freebies are pretty enthusiastic about them, though.

This is one of the things that make people sell too soon, I think, we all give away freebies and are all told by the people who actually use them that they are amazing and that we should sell them. But I think in large part that is b/c handmade soap, if made by someone who is reasonably competent, is *always* surprisingly good to people who are not used to them. Not to even mention the ones that are *really* good made by people who have developed recipes over years.

I just wish more people would actually try them and see the difference.

Last edited:
I hope everyone will enter something, even if it's not what they hoped. I wouldn't want anyone to think they shouldn't because it wasn't "good enough." I get something from everyone's soaps, boom or bust.

My entry was definitely not was I was wanting. I like it but I really wanted to add more colors. After splashing batter in my eye I had no time to waste. I also have been busy getting things ready for school the past several days, I can start school tonight if I want since it's all online, that I did not have time to make another batch:sad:

ETA: I'm so looking forward to this next challenge!!!

Last edited:
I was determined to make one more batch before the deadline. After buying lye, lard, and cleaning my kitchen tonight, when I sat down to figure out my next and final batch I hit a wall. Totally not coming together in my mind. I will likely just post my most recent attempt, even though the process is only on video, cause I just don't know if I can pull another one off. That's totally ok too, it was a great challenge for me as I have never worked in a slab mold before. I am grateful for that.

I made one more batch but it wasn't as good as the previous one so I entered that instead! I think I am going to cut the slices of the bars through to see how the pattern changes inside as I am really interested to know. I have to wait until they are really hard though as I want really thin slices.

I didnt get a chance to have another go today :( i had to do stupid end of financial year book keeping. Sadly after doing that for a couple hours my brains dribbled out of my ears and left me in no mood for soaping. Oh well. Maybe I'll have more luck on the next challenge

I made one more batch but it wasn't as good as the previous one so I entered that instead! I think I am going to cut the slices of the bars through to see how the pattern changes inside as I am really interested to know. I have to wait until they are really hard though as I want really thin slices.

Slicing the bars is a very good idea Saponista, I actually sliced through the bars of my first trial soap and I really liked the cut sides, in fact, better than the tops. So I made my entry soap double thick and I will definitely post the pictures when I get to cut.

I really like the way the sliced bars look w/this soap, too, the way the swirl/color goes all the way through. Saponista, why are you cutting your soaps really thin? Curious b/c I alway assume they will melt away faster that way, are you experimenting w/something?

Well, mine is done and in the mold. I panicked because I wasn't sure what I wanted to use and went with my first 3 favorite colors, purple, blue and pink. I figured I'd use pastels and see how they work out. Turns out, not as well as I had hoped. After I poured and swirled it separated a little, but it's still okay. I'll post tonight when I get home. I hope I make the deadline. If not, I'll post here so you guys can see it.

I'm so enjoying all of the entries. I get excited each time I see the thread bumped to the top of the page!

Lionprincess, I'm having total envy of your soap after the second pull down. It looks like a gorgeous ikat textile. I'm anxious to try it.

Believe me, not_ally, it's not all that pretty. I like the gremlin soap better! I will post it though. Right now I'm out of town celebrating my nephews graduation into the Marines!

I really hope everyone enters a soap - would be a shame if not.

I cut mine today

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1437853626.104630.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1437853636.588272.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1437853646.360126.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1437853658.616212.jpg

And the other side

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1437853676.672888.jpg

I just want to cut one of the bars into a bunch of thin sections so I can see how the pattern changes through the bar not_ally. I don't normally cut that thin!

I love the double sided effect Sonia, those are beautiful bars.

I love slicing a bar through to see what happens. It can be surprising in both directions. Sometime it seems like the swirl peters out or gets thick and other times it swirls far finer even deep inthe bar than I would expect. I also like slicing perpendicularly because you can find interesting patterns that way as well sometimes.

Your bars looks great, Sonya!

I hope everyone will get an entry in by tonight. The more, the better!

Back