1st RIMMED SOAP yikes! (10th CP)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niclycha

Reaction score
OK, so I finally had time to start on this. .... (sorry it's not ready yet) but here is the beginning, THE RIM
I will take any and all advice, pointers etc.
So I bought the download from Greatcakes Soap Challenge tutorial, I got the perfect mold that you don't even have to calculate rim measurements, except for the thickness of the rim of course, no FO,
Recipe I used.
Water as 30% (as instructed)
8% Superfat (ai)
13 Oz of oils
3.25 Coconut oil
2.60 Lard
2.60 Grapeseed oil
1.30 Olive oil
1.30 Castor oil
1.95 Avocado oil
3.90 Water
1.75 Lye
The FO I will be using discolors to dk brown, it's from Nurture Soap called 25:43. It's a Lime, Caramel, Tonka Bean scent. ...smells good though lol. Anyway, here is the making of the RIM do far.
Oh I read to heat oven to 170 and cook for 2 hours. ..I set it for 1 though, I've never OVEN PROCESSED so I'm kinda scared. ..should I leave it for 2, I feel weird having a wooden mold and freezer paper in the oven.
OH AND THE KIDS LEFT FRENCH FRIES in the oven so when I was about to put my soap in there I realized what that smell was, I honesty thought it was the lard lol
Ugh, FOOD in the oven....unacceptable lol. It's for soap not food, ha ha
That's funny because I used to paint reborn dolls and the MANY layers of heat set paint has to be baked in so it doesn't scratch off or rub off, so I used to cook babies in my oven, I don't like baking much but my hobbies always keep me at the stove or oven. ..and the sink lol
Anyway here is the rim..

Photos ...

1464680146542.jpg

1464680154852.jpg

1464680162744.jpg

I'm in love with it already! Those colors are great and should stand out well against the dark brown inside. Is it going to be round or square? I haven't tried rimmed soap yet so I'm going to be sure to follow along on your journey. :) I can't wait to see the final product!

I'd heat the oven to 110*F and turn it off when you put the soap in and leave untouched for 12 hrs. 170 will cook the soap and make it go funky and the FO morph to ugly.

I'd heat the oven to 110*F and turn it off when you put the soap in and leave untouched for 12 hrs. 170 will cook the soap and make it go funky and the FO morph to ugly.

Yeah, I'm a little worried by that 170 degree oven, too, but you were following the tutorial, right?
Can't wait to see the soap! The rim looks gorgeous.
And your comments about the proper uses for the oven had me rolling :lol:

OK, so I did the 170 for about an hour and 20 min, turned it off and left it in there for about 6 hours, but I did take it out to look at it, probably let out all the heat lol

Agh!!!!! &^/!÷%^::
It cracked, I rolled it really slow too. Lol too scared to try the other one

1464735659580.jpg

1464735709962.jpg

1464735720230.jpg

This is Irish Lass's advice from another thread. I follow it and it works. If you had used this method your soap wouldn't have cracked:

Speaking as one who likes to gel all my soaps, I can say unequivocally that you definitely don't need to stick your soap in a 170 degree oven to ensure full gel. Based on my own experience, that high of a heat is totally unnecessary, unless of course you are cooking your soap, as with HP. When I HP, I always set my oven to between 170-180F.

With CPOP, however, I'm not cooking the soap, i.e., my goal is not to force gel, but to gently coax the batter to gel (there's a difference), by providing just enough gentle heat to get the ball rolling.

I'm not sure what % of lye solution you use with your batches, but generally, 'full-water' batches gel more easily than batches made with a water discount. I myself use a water discount with just about all of my batches (33% lye solution), which means that my soaps need a little extra help to fully gel, which I achieve thusly:

1) I soap between 110F and 120F
2) I pour into wood molds with a wood cover, which I insulate by covering over with a few cotton diapers.
3) I place my soap in a preheated 110F oven, which I turn off as soon as the soap is placed inside (my oven has a digital read-out that keeps track of the temp is as it's heating up. As soon as it reaches 110F, I turn it off. For what it's worth, it takes about 3 minutes for my oven to reach 110F from the time I turn it on).
4) Once my soap is in the oven, I leave it in there to sit undisturbed overnight (I soap right before I go to bed), and then I unmold some time the next day- usually about 18 hours after pour. Nine times out of ten, I get full gel (there's always that occasional 1-percenter that falls about 1/8" - 1/4" short of full gel).

RE: MP embeds: For what it's worth, I have never had a problem CPOPing with MP embeds. Mine have all come out perfectly fine without melting.

I don't make a lot of textured tops, but when I do, they stay perfectly intact through CPOP/gel just as long as I texture when the soap is at thick trace.

IrishLass

Last edited:
Thanks P!

I'll try that. Trying to figure out what to do with this, I wish I would have poured thicker or used some FO LOL it's just thin pretty soap for now, the colors are so bright and pretty, some kind of embeds I'll use it for. Not sure yet though. I have a few ideas though

I'll try that. Trying to figure out what to do with this, I wish I would have poured thicker or used some FO LOL it's just thin pretty soap for now, the colors are so bright and pretty, some kind of embeds I'll use it for. Not sure yet though. I have a few ideas though

If there is enough good soap to fit your mold it would make a lovely top just laid over the top of fairly plain (or maybe not!) soap.

Last edited:
I thinking that and using the FO that I was going to use that discolors with it, maybe lining the bottom of my essential depot mold or cutting some shapes out and embedding them into the 18 bar mold idk, lol so many choices

I thinking that and using the FO that I was going to use that discolors with it, maybe lining the bottom of my essential depot mold or cutting some shapes out and embedding them into the 18 bar mold idk, lol so many choices

:think: This month's challenge is a mosaic soap. I'm not sure if you've been a member of the forum long enough to enter the challenge, but if so, there's an answer to "what to do with the thin pretty soap." And if you can't enter the challenge, there still a good answer to "what to do with the thin pretty soap." :)

OK so I still have the half that didn't break, I'm wondering if I put some heat to it, will it be more pliable, I just can't give up on the other half. ...until it breaks too lol. If I put it between some warm towels or SOMETHING. :`( IT'S GOT TO WORK

This beautiful piece lol I even made it my background screen on my phone. Lol

1465016394174.jpg

1465016405221.jpg

I don't know if you've done anything with it yet, and I also don't know if warming it would make it bendy enough to roll. But could you maybe cut it and line a mold, or part of a mold with it? If it is still soft enough you could probably squish the edges together and have a U shaped rim. I don't know if that would work, just thinking...

Or cut it into small pieces and use as travel soaps. Or frame it.

Yea, I'm going to try to bend it tonight first. Then maybe embed it

Back