1st LS batch - KOH question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meena

Reaction score
In @IrishLass 's wonderfully detailed LS tutorial (including greatly helpful pictures!), she is dissolving the KOH by boiling it with water on the stove. I have about -0-, ziltch, ventilation in my kitchen (stove exhaust broken), so I am wondering (and hoping) if KOH can be dissolved as for NOH? <---- I don't think that's right, but you know what i mean)

The method you're misquoting is the process of dissolving KOH in GLYCERIN over heat. I strongly do not recommend this for safety reasons. If you read further through the thread you'll see Irish Lass also no longer recommends this method for safety reasons.

Just dissolve the KOH in an equal weight of water (or more water) at room temperature exactly like you dissolve NaOH.

The method you're misquoting is the process of dissolving KOH in GLYCERIN over heat. I strongly do not recommend this for safety reasons. If you read further through the thread you'll see Irish Lass also no longer recommends this method for safety reasons.

Just dissolve the KOH in an equal weight of water (or more water) at room temperature exactly like you dissolve NaOH.

Yikes! Sorry for the misread. I read the whole post around 2 weeks ago and apparently have forgotten what i read. Still some short-term memory holes ... :(

But this is Great and Very Welcome news!! Thank you thank you thank you, DeeAnna! :dance:

Ditto what DeeAnna said- that there was boiling hot glycerin I was dissolving my KOH in. That's how most of us started out learning how to make glycerin liquid soap (nicknamed the 'Pharmacist Method' because that's how compounding pharmacies quickly made their glycerin 'green soap' paste in a jiffy), but it's easier and less fussy (and less dangerous) to just dissolve the KOH in water and then add the glycerin. There's a link in my tutorial within the same post that pictures me dissolving my KOH which will take you to the 'easier' way of dissolving the KOH with water before adding the glycerin to the solution.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back