1st batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecgqeh

Reaction score
Hey there after taking Gweneth Paltrow's recommendation and try something new, I decided to try cold process soap. I have been watching youtube tutorials for 2 weeks and made my 1st very small (16ozs) today. I waited until my lye solution and oils were both between 80 and 83 degrees. I stick blended for maybe 30 sec and got to medium trace. By the time I got to put in the molds after adding fragrance and color and an in the bowl swirl it was setting up pretty good. I thought pretty well for the first time ever but I really want to do some more indepth color variations and the way this set up so fast not sure if I will be able. I am thinking the temperture might be the culprit for this happening but I am sure I am wrong because I am a newbie. Any recommendations will be very much appreciated.

Yes sure, I used soapcalc.

Attachments

• 1st soap recipe.pdf
    78.5 KB · Views: 13
So smart starting with a smaller batch to get a feel for it.

Your temps are ok. They are on the cooler side and it's usually hotter temps that speed up trace (120F / 50C and above).
You're recipe looks good, but I do want to ask: Are you using olive oil or olive oil pomace (note: pomace can speed up trace).
I see you made a small water discount. It's not really enough to impact trace though.

Scents and colours can speed up trace too. Can you share what FO or EO you used and also the colourants?

That being said I do think the length of time your stick blended for might be the main contributing factor. 30 seconds is quite a long time. I generally use the stick blender in 3 second bursts and stir in between, then repeat until emulsion is reached (very light trace) – 3 to 5 rotations is usually all I need. Then I separate my portions before adding the colours. Colours tend to blend in more easily when your batter is fluid. I generally add the scent last, right before pouring, unless I am using a scent that I have used before and know will not speed up trace. You can always stick blend more if needed.

Back