1st batch of Emulsified Sugar Scrub a success!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendejm

Reaction score
925559BB-B004-4D50-8511-869A6D0771C1.jpeg
5F462D78-B589-466D-A1D2-24670D7BFEA5.jpeg
I made my first 2 batches of sugar scrub I am in love!! They feel so great on the skin and hands.

These are for Christmas presents....I am not selling them. I’m a marketing/creative person so I always see packaging in my head with anything I create so I had to design labels too!

I used Mango butter for the first time and I really like how it feels on the skin...not greasy at all. Of course it washes off with water with the E-was but even straight out of the container it feels so nice. And the price is pretty good compared to other butters.

Question- how do you get your scrubs into the jar. I poured and it was a mess! Is piping recommended? Until it hardens it seems it would be pretty easy to pipe in the jars.

Those look lovely!I'm glad to hear you like them. I usually scoop my scrubs into the container with a spoon or spatula.
I wish I could put a label together like that. I don't sell either, but my labels are like Word templated, Avery labels. They look pretty pitiful, but they work fine for family & friends right now.

Those look lovely!I'm glad to hear you like them. I usually scoop my scrubs into the container with a spoon or spatula.
I wish I could put a label together like that. I don't sell either, but my labels are like Word templated, Avery labels. They look pretty pitiful, but they work fine for family & friends right now.
Thx! I think I’ll try a spoon as I can’t seem to grasp the skills needed for a piping bag..haha!

I use photoshop to design. I’ve tried MS Word and they never come out right and never align properly for me.

Oooh! They look good! :)
(Yet again I'm drawn to the labels - very elegent)

A jam or canning funnel is useful to keep the jars tidy for small quantities.
They are robust, make filling pretty quick (spoon or pour) and cleanup is easy.
(And it doesn't matter if the mix is caustic or hot, so versatile too ... I've burnt myself piping things too hot ;))

Like this: https://www.meilleurduchef.com/en/s...ls/funnel/che-stainless-steel-jam-funnel.html
stainless-steel-jam-funnel-1-640.jpg

Oooh! They look good! :)
(Yet again I'm drawn to the labels - very elegent)

A jam or canning funnel is useful to keep the jars tidy for small quantities.
They are robust, make filling pretty quick (spoon or pour) and cleanup is easy.
(And it doesn't matter if the mix is caustic or hot, so versatile too ... I've burnt myself piping things too hot ;))

Like this: https://www.meilleurduchef.com/en/s...ls/funnel/che-stainless-steel-jam-funnel.html
stainless-steel-jam-funnel-1-640.jpg
Thankyou!!!! And that funnel is perfect! Yet another thing I HAVE to buy!

They look absolutely lovely. That is a beautiful green and I bet the ginger lime smells divine :)
Great tip about using mango butter. I made some lotion and lotion bars last year using cocoa butter but didn't like the greasy feeling.
I'll have to check out mango butter and see if I can find a lotion recipe using it.

Janelle

I use photoshop to design. I’ve tried MS Word and they never come out right and never align properly for me.

The printer in me is wincing. (I work in a print shop.) Whenever anyone comes in with a Word file for their business card, postcard... anything except a b/w document... we send them home to change it to pdf. Word is a word processing program, not a design program.

As for Photoshop, unless you know what you're doing with it (and it looks like you do), it isn't the best program for designing things like labels or business cards (I could tell you stories!). If you have Photoshop, you might have the entire Adobe Creative Suite; InDesign is a better option. Or a program like Serif's Page Plus or Affinity Publisher (both do most of what InDesign does but at a much better price point, and they're easier to learn).

Rant over.

Having said all that, I love your label design. Very clean, very elegant. And your scrubs look great!

The printer in me is wincing. (I work in a print shop.) Whenever anyone comes in with a Word file for their business card, postcard... anything except a b/w document... we send them home to change it to pdf. Word is a word processing program, not a design program.

As for Photoshop, unless you know what you're doing with it (and it looks like you do), it isn't the best program for designing things like labels or business cards (I could tell you stories!). If you have Photoshop, you might have the entire Adobe Creative Suite; InDesign is a better option. Or a program like Serif's Page Plus or Affinity Publisher (both do most of what InDesign does but at a much better price point, and they're easier to learn).

Rant over.

Having said all that, I love your label design. Very clean, very elegant. And your scrubs look great!
Thank you very much! I do have the entire suite and use InDesign for brochures and more complex layouts. For labels photoshop works great. I can use photoshop blindfolded since I used to use it so much as a photographer. I still have to challenge myself at times with InDesign. Linking pages and wrapping text around images and multi page documents make it a great choice for those times it’s needed.

I can only imagine someone bringing a word document into a print shop! That program is more trouble than it’s worth!

Thank you very much! I do have the entire suite and use InDesign for brochures and more complex layouts. For labels photoshop works great. I can use photoshop blindfolded since I used to use it so much as a photographer. I still have to challenge myself at times with InDesign. Linking pages and wrapping text around images and multi page documents make it a great choice for those times it’s needed.

I can only imagine someone bringing a word document into a print shop! That program is more trouble than it’s worth!

LOL about Word. I had one woman bring in a Word file that, when we opened it, was completely blank. She actually went white with shock. It turns out her entire document consisted of photos and she hadn't included the photos on her memory stick. Word had nothing to link to.

It regularly substitutes fonts and doesn't let you know. And those are just two issues. I could go on. I won't.

From looking at your labels, I can tell you know what you're doing with Photoshop. Many who have it and think they know what they're doing really don't.

(Sorry to hijack your thread)

Latest posts

Back