1st Attempt at Cosmic Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lessons learned:
Don’t pour from too long a neck (colors blend on the way down)
You cannot balance dark and light color volumes equally
I need to make smaller molds for test batches

On the up side:
I used my “found” GV shortening
I learned a lot about color blending
My first cpop experience was a win

IMG_0740.JPG

Wow! Thanks for listing your lessons learned! That's very helpful, actually. I rather like them - at least some of them! lol

I’ll take a good drop swirl or simple hanger swirl and day. I was a great batch too. Perfect lye/water temp. No acceleration. I watched a YouTube that made it look easy. I used a really long-necked watering pitcher that was problematic from the start, and I split the colors into 4 equal parts, huge mistake. At least it smells awesome.

I have yet to perfect this technique as well. My colors blurred too much together, but overall, it was a fun project and I need to give it a try again so I can work toward mastering it.

What, if any, fragrance did you use? Congratulations on your first successful CPOP experience.

This brings up the topic of uses for less-than-ideal soap. One of the best things I've purchased in the past year or so is a shower foot scrubber. I use up not-so-awesome soaps by rubbing them on the bristles and scrubbing my tired-aching feet. It burns through a bar pretty quickly, but it's quite a luxury.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07898BJMJ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Lessons learned:
Don’t pour from too long a neck (colors blend on the way down)
You cannot balance dark and light color volumes equally
I need to make smaller molds for test batches

On the up side:
I used my “found” GV shortening
I learned a lot about color blending
My first cpop experience was a win

View attachment 36523
They look cool tho! Especially the ones on the bottom.

I think they are great. Those are the type of swirls that when you are in the shower, and water has gone through them, look stunning.

I took my liners over to a friends so he could make molds and am having him make a smaller slab mold 8x8x1. I wanna try this cosmic swirl but I want to try using pastel type colors--would it still be considered cosmic?

I took my liners over to a friends so he could make molds and am having him make a smaller slab mold 8x8x1. I wanna try this cosmic swirl but I want to try using pastel type colors--would it still be considered cosmic?
Yes - it's the technique :) I will say that contrasting colors work best.

Back