1935 CP Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steffamarie

Reaction score
So today my boyfriend found a book at an estate sale called “Money Making Formulas: 1059 Ways to Start a Profitable Business” and of course, soapmaking is included! Thought some of you may be interested :)
IMG_8943.jpg

That was right in the middle of the Great Depression. I wonder how many people had the money to buy those ingredients.
Very true!! This book also lists recipes for dry cleaning soap, machinery soap (?), solid perfumes, lotions, astringents, and a whole slew of other cosmetic products. I'm really intrigued!!!

The recipes made big batches because it was a time-consuming royal pain to make soap back in the day before stick blenders. My grandmother usually made enough soap to fill a newspaper-lined peach crate to a dept of 3-4 inches. It too most of an afternoon to do, but it was enough to last the year for laundry.

BG -- Sodium silicate (aka water glass) adds detergency (cleaning power) somewhat like rosin. Its main benefit, however, is to reduce the cost of the soap. By adding water glass, more water can be "hidden" in the soap and still end up with a hard soap. Water glass is made by reacting sodium hydroxide with sand, something a soap maker could easily do. Water and sand are cheap compared to fats. (Rosin was also cheap back in the day, which is why it was also a once-common additive in soap.)

"...Silicated Soaps: Sheridan's Process. — Of all the numerous cheapening substances which have been introduced into pure soaps, the silicate of soda, or soluble glass may be deemed the most important, since it not only favours the introduction of a large percentage of water in certain kinds of soap, but it also possesses in itself a high detergent property...."

Alexander Watt. The art of soap making.
Google a portion of the quote above to find the source.

Latest posts

Back