190 Proof Ethanol/Perfumer's Alcohol

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Sun Pure Botanicals, where I buy my essential oils, jojoba and emu oil, is now offering 190 Proof Ethanol/Perfumer's Alcohol. (Specially Denatured alcohol 39C)

Scroll down for details. FREE SHIPPING depending on size.

They are also offering Victoria's Secret "NIGHT", Eau de Perfume, as an add-on when purchased with the Ethanol.

Used in making perfumes, hand sanitizers, body mist, room and linen sprays, etc. it's also used for making transparent soap. :thumbs:

NOTE: For transparent soap, I can buy 190 proof Everclear (Ethanol) at my local liquor store. Not available in all states. You may want to compare Sun Pure's price of a quart ($27.00) to the price of a liter of Everclear sourced locally.

I was just reading a soapin' book when I heard again about how they want me to use denatured alcohol in anything I sell bc of taxes.

Alcohol is gift from God- good for hair, good for skin, good for drinking. Humans need good quality alcohol on their hair and skin so all the population can be healthier.
Ayraduvic products don't allow non-synergistic ingredients.

It took less than a day & just one email to get a free license from the state to buy "organic" alcohol.
I have a whole 'nother gallon of this stuff I hope to last several more years.

I dunno the difference between Everclear & organic alcohol, or why in the heck most states require a special license to buy "organic" alcohol??

vCWPGY.jpg

YPsXw8.jpg

$124 bucks for both gallons including $50 federal excise tax...
oaLm6v.jpg

Last edited:
It took less than a day & just one email to get a free license from the state to buy "organic" alcohol.
:thumbs: Good to know! Thanks for sharing!

FWIW, I buy 190 Proof Everclear at my local liquor store to save on shipping costs:
1 Liter - $18
1.75 Liters - $34

Everclear.jpg

they want me to use denatured alcohol in anything I sell bc of taxes.
Actually, it's not so much about taxes; it's more about using SDAs "Specially Denatured Alcohols" approved for use in cosmetics.

There's "Denatured Alcohol" (toxic) you can buy at Home Depot and similar stores:

Denatured Alcohol - Ethyl alcohol/Methanol
Denatured alcohol can contain 70-99% ethyl alcohol and is most often denaturized with at least 5% methanol. Toxic. Some general uses of denatured ethanol include paint removal, pest control, disinfectant, and window cleaning. Denatured alcohol is also used as a starter fluid for camping stoves, and as an industrial solvent. NOT approved for Consumption or B & B products.

Then there's the SDAs approved for use in bath & body products:

Specially Denatured Alcohol (SDA) contains additives to make it unfit for consumption, following governmental regulations. Although adding denaturants gives no chemical advantage, denatured alcohol is cheaper because it is not subject to excise taxes. Source: Lab Alley

Perfumer’s Alcohol - Ethyl Alcohol, aka Ethanol aka Grain Alcohol
SPECIALLY DENATURED ETHYL ALCOHOL [SDA‐39‐C (190 PROOF)
Approved for use in soap and cosmetics.
Source: Sun Pure Botanicals

I dunno the difference between Everclear & organic alcohol,
Everclear aka Ethanol aka Grain Alcohol is used as a household "food-grade" cleaning, disinfecting, or stove fuel alcohol because its fumes and odor are less offensive than isopropyl, rubbing, and denatured alcohol which are toxic to breathe or drink. It can be purchased at your local liquor store although not found in all states. It is subject to excise taxes.

It is safe for consumption. For example, hobbyists use it to make cordials, like Cherry Cordial made from cherries from a tree in their yard and other recipes.

Organic alcohol requires certification by the State to be sure that the product and its ingredients are free of harmful pesticides, fertilizers, and chemicals. Organic alcohol is also better for the environment

Ethanol 190 Proof Organic Ethyl Certified Vegan Sugar Cane Alcohol
is made from organic sugar cane that has been grown in farms without pesticides or chemicals and processed in specific distilleries; certified by the Food Chemicals Codex (FCC). Some uses of organic vegan ethyl alcohol include liquors. In fact, many distilled spirits are vegan. Organic vegan ethanol is in skin care products, medicine production and the perfume industry.

Lab Alley offers a wide variety of certified vegan organic ethanol at the best prices.

Other thoughts...

Some consider Everclear to be a very strong vodka; however, Everclear and vodka are very different. Vodka is much more diluted. For context, the typical vodka is roughly 40% alcohol by volume, which is 80 proof. Everclear, on the other hand, is 95% alcohol, which is 190 proof.

Whether you use Everclear or Organic Cane Sugar Sprits or any other "equivalent" from your local liquor store, it's important to use only ethanol/grain alcohol to avoid toxins. My liquor store has 4 brands of 190 proof ethyl alcohols equivalent to 190 Proof Everclear. Some states have 150 Proof as well. Some states have neither.

SDAs are preferable for certification of B & B products if selling.

I90 Proof Ethanol is used to make:
Transparent Soap
Clarify Liquid Soap (1-2 tablespoons per 16 oz. diluted LS also boosts lather. Flattens lather if you use too much.)
20% ethanol acts as a preservative in Linen Sprays, Body Mists, Bug Repellent, Perfume, etc.
Herbal Tinctures

HTH :computerbath:

Lab Alley offers a wide variety of certified vegan organic ethanol at the best prices.
Interesting? So no license required for purchase from these guys?
The Organic Alcohol Company wouldn't even talk to me until uploaded them my Letter of Acceptance from the OLCC, Oregon Liquor Control Commission.
Before shipping costs were even included Lab Alley wanted $139 for just one gallon, whereas I got both of my gallons in glass jars for just $124 bc the Organic Alcohol Company does 50% sales all the time esp on the sugarcane if you sign up for their emails.
Transparent soap sounds cool. I've never done that. Is it hard? So, if we sell transparent soap w Everclear in it then we're supposed to pay taxes to some unelected federal regulatory bureaucracy?

During covid 1 gallon of 99% denatured (alcohol) cost me like $75 on Amazon or smthng ridiculous, bc during a pandemic ventilators are far more important than rubbing alcohol for disinfecting surfaces-- I swear to God I almost bought a copper still since I was living on a farm at the time and could legally cook & own up to 5 gallons of 'shine for farm use only so long as I obtained the free permit and promised not to forget to denature it.

Last edited:
Perfumer's Alcohol is often 200 proof. There are several items used for the denaturing process. This one is 40-B (Biterix used to denature) Amazon Prime has 64 oz for $26 w/free ship. https://www.amazon.com/Impact-99-5-Ethyl-Alcohol-Denatured/dp/B0B3571WYT/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3SHO646VAB64O&keywords=HIGH+Impact+99.5%+Ethyl+Alcohol+Denatured+40-B+200+Proof+Alcohol+-+Made+in+The+USA+-+32oz+Spray+(Pack+of+2)&qid=1675214027&sprefix=high+impact+99.5%+ethyl+alcohol+denatured+40-b+200+proof+alcohol+-+made+in+the+usa+-+32oz+spray+pack+of+2+,aps,145&sr=8-1

Sun Pure Botanicals, where I buy my essential oils, jojoba and emu oil, is now offering 190 Proof Ethanol/Perfumer's Alcohol. (Specially Denatured alcohol 39C)

Scroll down for details. FREE SHIPPING depending on size.

They are also offering Victoria's Secret "NIGHT", Eau de Perfume, as an add-on when purchased with the Ethanol.

Used in making perfumes, hand sanitizers, body mist, room and linen sprays, etc. it's also used for making transparent soap. :thumbs:

NOTE: For transparent soap, I can buy 190 proof Everclear (Ethanol) at my local liquor store. Not available in all states. You may want to compare Sun Pure's price of a quart ($27.00) to the price of a liter of Everclear sourced locally.
Thank you for the info! Here is an older article on denaturing and other misc alcohol topics: Regulatory Review—Labeling Alcohol, Alcohol Denat. and Booze

So anytime I buy something at the store and there's alcohol in it, it's denatured, eh? That's not cool. This article doesn't say anything about if I must use ethyl alcohol and am willing to pay the taxes on it bc i flatly refuse to add denatured alcohol in anything w my name on it.
Pretty much all the cannabis processors in Oregon use the Organic Alcohol Company bc its illegal to process cannabis in Oregon with denatured alcohol (like Rick Simpson curiously suggests in videos). I've seen 500 gallon tubs of their alcohol when I was dropping off Bs Cs n trim.
The process for a soap or cosmetics company would like be to obtain alcohol license from the state, buy said alcohol, and then ask cpa to kindly figure it out, yea?

It's pretty much up to you to decide whether to follow the guidelines or not, depending on what you are making and whether or not you are selling commercially.

Quoting from that article:
The first ATF rule is that beverage alcohol may not be used in cosmetics. Technically, the ATF considers you to be selling beverage alcohol without a license, proper reporting, and payment of taxes. That being said, beverage alcohol may be used as a processing aid (such as to reduce foam when filling bottles of liquid soap) or in processes where the natural chemical reaction of the process catalyzes or alters the beverage alcohol from its original form such as in true soap made with beer or wine.

Everything I make with ethanol to sell falls within that "processing aid" definition.

Just to clarify, beverage alcohol is drinkable; "denatured alcohol" is not drinkable due to the denaturing additive it contains. If I were making tinctures, I would NOT use denatured alcohol. :eek: There are tons of SDAs available for different processes in many areas, not limited to cosmetics and other uses.

It's pretty much up to you to decide whether to follow the guidelines or not, depending on what you are making and whether or not you are selling commercially.

Quoting from that article:
The first ATF rule is that beverage alcohol may not be used in cosmetics. Technically, the ATF considers you to be selling beverage alcohol without a license, proper reporting, and payment of taxes. That being said, beverage alcohol may be used as a processing aid (such as to reduce foam when filling bottles of liquid soap) or in processes where the natural chemical reaction of the process catalyzes or alters the beverage alcohol from its original form such as in true soap made with beer or wine.

Everything I make with ethanol to sell falls within that "processing aid" definition.

Just to clarify, beverage alcohol is drinkable; "denatured alcohol" is not drinkable due to the denaturing additive it contains. If I were making tinctures, I would NOT use denatured alcohol. :eek: There are tons of SDAs available for different processes in many areas, not limited to cosmetics and other uses.
Huh. I'm glad you made that point.
What about like using Everclear in body butter as a preservative?
We can sell an 'beverage alcohol'-based tincture w/o having to pay an alcohol tax?

What about like using Everclear in body butter as a preservative?
Anhydrous Body Butter isn't made with alcohol and therefore requires no preservative.

20% alcohol preserves some products that contain water such as body mists, linen sprays, bug sprays, air fresheners and similar. NOT recommended for lotions and such -- there's a whole lotta options specifically formulated for those products.

We can sell an 'beverage alcohol'-based tincture w/o having to pay an alcohol tax?
I'm not current and therefore not qualified to say for certain. Regulations differ from location to location. Best to contact State and local ATF authorities for confirmation.

Back