14 Day Clutter Purge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's May 1st, and I've decided to try to do a clean out of the closet, kitchen, craft stuff and general crappage that has accumulated around here. I don't think I can do a full 30 days, so I'm going for two weeks. One thing on the 1st, two on the 2nd, etc. I expect it will get challenging toward the end, but will force me to get rid of stuff that is never realistically going to fit again, get used again, and just generally taking up space.

Anyone else want to join in?

I'm already in what I call my "tornado mode"..... so sure, I'll join! Is it one drawer a day or an entire room?

One item May 1, two May 2, three May 3, etc. Donate, toss, give away. In 14 days, it will be 105 items.

105 items... Oh dear, if I did that I would have nothing left, lol... : P

But seriously, yesterday I cleaned up the place where I keep my soap & lipbalm stuff. I didn`t throw away all that much, but it became so neat, tidy and clutter free.

Now if I could only find the time (Err, I mean urge.*cough*) to do the same with my closet space...

That's a great idea!

It might still be snowing, but I've been in spring cleaning mode for a couple of weeks. I'm doing mine on more of a room by room basis.

Garage: done. That was a massive undertaking since we have been doing home renovations off and on through the winter. Everything just ended up piling in there for months.

Walk out basement (my office, laundry room, game room, bathroom): underway. I still have relatives staying with me so I'm working around a few extra bodies and their stuff. The laundry room is actually being painted today so once we get rid of that debris it will be perfect. My office is pretty much under control, but I'll vow to clean out all my desk drawers this week.

I'm most worried about doing my closets. I hate clutter so end up over stuffing closets so I can hide my mess. Who knows what lurks in the dark recesses?!?!

I think I'll join in, too. I'm not going to do the 'one thing on the 1st, 2 things on the 2nd', etc.., though, because if I hold myself to that, I can pretty much guarantee you that I will never even get started! LOL Instead, I think I shall just pick one area a day to declutterfly, no matter how big or small.

IrishLass :)

I think I'll join in, too. I'm not going to do the 'one thing on the 1st, 2 things on the 2nd', etc.., though, because if I hold myself to that, I can pretty much guarantee you that I will never even get started! LOL Instead, I think I shall just pick one area a day to declutterfly, no matter how big or small.

IrishLass :)

Yay!! I think it will help knowing there are others doing this too. The picking one area a day doesn't work for me. I start out great, and can get through the easy rooms, and then...it's nice outside...I could be making soap...I have to go (could be anywhere) and there won't be time today. It's kind of like how creatively I can put off exercise. I don't know if I'll actually be able to keep up with the daily increases, but I think even papers and things like that can count.

ANYTHING around here that's not a boat or other seasonal item has 6 months. If we haven't used it in that amount of time the rule is sell it, give it away or throw it away. I worked out of town one year ( in the bush) and DW Jan sold the boat! She was right it had been a year with no use.
Clutter purge is easy for us. Nothing lasts long set out at the road with a "free" sign on it. The sign usually goes too.:)

It's May 1st, and I've decided to try to do a clean out of the closet, kitchen, craft stuff and general crappage that has accumulated around here. I don't think I can do a full 30 days, so I'm going for two weeks. One thing on the 1st, two on the 2nd, etc. I expect it will get challenging toward the end, but will force me to get rid of stuff that is never realistically going to fit again, get used again, and just generally taking up space.

Anyone else want to join in?
How i envy all of you doing your cleanup. I am disabled and soap when I have a good day or a few good hors.Sometimes I cannot get to the cleanup right away. I wish I cold join yo, as I need it BAD, but I will just have to live vicariously through all of you:).

Hey, I'd be happy to join. It's almost the end of the day, but I'm sure I can find something before the day is over. I do need to open the accumulating mail and that will surely mean tossing out some clutter once I do that. I just finished cleaning up in the kitchen so I want to rest for a little bit, but I'll let you know what I toss out.

ETA: This may seem like not a big deal, but I tossed out a Large Tea Box. When I started soaping I didn't have any molds and was using tea boxes as molds. Now that I have actual soap molds, I really don't need to be saving empty tea boxes every time I use up the tea inside. So one down on the 5/1.

Last edited:
I cleaned out a drawer today. I can do two tomorrow. I doubt I can find 105 things to clean. I just got moved in totally, and cleaned everything then. And I started spring cleaning earlier. But I will continue to clean, so count me in!

I cleaned out a drawer today. I can do two tomorrow. I doubt I can find 105 things to clean. I just got moved in totally, and cleaned everything then. And I started spring cleaning earlier. But I will continue to clean, so count me in!

You don't have to clean out 105 things. The idea is to just remove one thing on the 1st of the month, 2 things on the 2nd, 3 things on the 3rd, etc. It can be anything, just to get it out. I have a button jar, and I could technically count that as 30 things if I were doing this for a month. I'm going to make an effort to count something like that as 1. Same with all the little bottles of acrylic paints I haven't touched in longer than I can remember, which I've amassed for various crafty projects. So, I have a donation bag with 1 pair of pants sitting in it tonight. Tomorrow there will be 2 more in there, since my closet and drawers are a priority. Glad you are in!

I'm on front of you all haha!
Just joking.. I cleaned out our wardrobe, daughter's wardrobe, linen press, bathroom cupboards, kitchen cupboards and more. I threw out and donated heaps of stuff.
I was bit late with spring cleaning, it was already late summer here in Oz when cleaning bug struck. But it felt so good!

Right in there with you all too. Only I'm in last month of packing up the house to move, so LOTS of de-cluttering. Donating tons of stuff, tossing what really is junk, throwing burnables on burn pile (I'm gonna miss being able to do that). Extremely satisfying :)

I always have to explain to my husband that when clean it gets worst before it gets better. All the stuff/junk had to come out first

I am probably going to start my "clean one thing a week" after I hit the one year anniversary of moving in here. The idea is to clean out one drawer, or one cabinet, or one three foot section of closet each week to avoid having to "spring clean". I am also starting my hubby out with all his hangers turned facing outward so that anything not turned the correct way has to go next year. I am not so bad at saving clothes as he is.

Back