120 degrees for layering and embedding

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoochums

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been a casual soaper for a while now. I have never been able to figure out how to layer mp soap. I have read that the temp should be about 120 so that the top layer of soap does not melt into the bottom layer. But when my soap gets to 120 degrees, it is not really fluid anymore. It has chunks of soap and gel traces in it. It looks like chunky pudding. This is so basic but I really can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I have a digital thermometer so I know when I get to 120-130. Any ideas? TIA! :confused:

It's been over a year now since my last m&p layer soap but, if you don't mind, I will give my two cents. I don't use a thermometer for temperature. I prep my first layer by microwaving in 15-30 second bursts until almost melted, stir until soap is uniformly melted, add additives, and pour. I spray the first layer with alcohol and wait until it forms a skin (depends on additives and soap used but @ 10 min., I think). Then I prep the next layer as above and when soap is well mixed and fluid and feels warm but not hot, I pour over the next layer by pouring the soap first onto the back of a spatula just over the first layer. So, wait for the skin on the first layer, spray layer, pour next layer over skin, making sure next layer is well mixed and fluid warm not hot.

Nikkisesence gives you the formula very succinctly. I only worry about temps when melting. Each producers soap will give you optimum temps for their brands. SFIC - 140-160. They state do not go above 180F. Stephenson states optimal temps 160F.

When make "serious" soap, I do CP/HP. When I want to be fun and creative I do M&P. Have fun experimenting!

Back