12 teaspoons??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If I am remembering correctly, I have been reading that the usage rate for micas is 1 tsp per pound of oil (blended with 2-3 tablespoons of a light oil). I am about to start a 12 pound batch. Does that mean I add 12 teaspoons of Mica? Seems like a lot to me.

Also, on a related note, if I am mixing 2 colors (separately), does each color get 12 teaspoons or does each get 6 (assuming they were equal containers)? Or, for a ITP swirl, the pot would get 8 tsps and the batter for pouring into the pot would get 4?
Am I making any sense at all? o_O

Go by the recommended use your supplier listed. The range can be from 1 to 3 tsp per lb.

Will you be using oils from your batch, or additional oil? I suggest batch oils. If additional oil, use as little as possible unless you don’t mind the higher super fat.

Also, some people add micas to a small bit soap batter itself, then mix in to soap.

Yes, you’re making sense. You’re realizing all the little quandaries that come with using colorants. Myself, I used as little oil as possible. But know that if the mica/oil sit long, it thickens into a paste.

Did I cover everything?

I can't really answer your question completely. I almost always disperse my micas in a little oil before I start making soap. I've never made a batch that size, and I can say that after awhile you will get a feel for how much you are going to need ahead of time. As @lenarenee said, your supplier's recommendation is a good starting place. I can say though, that you don't need nearly two tablespoons of oil to disperse 1 teaspoon of mica. I probably use 1-2 tsp for 1 tsp mica. Then add a bit until it is fluid enough to pour (even thick like honey is fine). 12 teaspoons does seem like a lot to me, at least for the micas I use and for most colors.

As far as splitting the batch for different colors, you will use the amount of mica proportionately. So, assuming 1 tsp PPO, and splitting the batter into two equal parts you would use 6 tsp per each half.

I mix my mica with JUST ENOUGH oil to make it the consistency that I want. I usually use oils other than my batch oils and its fine...just adds to the superfat.

It seems like a lot to you right now, but that's because you are making a HUGE batch, so it's going to be a lot. My largest mold is my 7ish pound slab mold. The first time I made soap in it, I was really scared to add so much. But pound for pound it is the same measurements.

And afterthought, you are doing per pounds of oil right? It's not per pound of batter...

But personally, I add based on what I like visually. I don't measure out my micas. Add, mix, add more, mix... which is good for my purposes. If I happen to run out of pre-dispersed mica, then I add it right to the batter without dispersing it first. But only if I have time to sb a bit.

But if you have something specific, then by all means measure. This is just how I do it, even with my bigger mold.

And afterthought, you are doing per pounds of oil right? It's not per pound of batter...

12 pounds of oil, yup. If it is a popular scent, I make 40 bars, and my bars are really thick. When I present people with a regular size bar, they want to know why it's so small. Good thing I am not in this for the money! (Well, not yet anyway.)

So, tomorrow I will be doing an ITP Sandalwood batch - 40 bars. Based on a suggestion, I think I will use turmeric, paprika, and cocoa. The turmeric will be the pot color.

12 pounds of oil, yup. If it is a popular scent, I make 40 bars, and my bars are really thick. When I present people with a regular size bar, they want to know why it's so small. Good thing I am not in this for the money! (Well, not yet anyway.)

So, tomorrow I will be doing an ITP Sandalwood batch - 40 bars. Based on a suggestion, I think I will use turmeric, paprika, and cocoa. The turmeric will be the pot color.
It sounds very nice. If it were me, I'd leave some uncolored - but I tend to like some white in my soaps.

I'm open to the idea of some uncolored. As the pot color or as one of the two pour-into-the-pot colors?
Whatever you like :) I’m so partial to white I’d do uncolored or turmeric as the pot color. I’d also do less of the cocoa if you are making it dark brown. I find that really dark colors tend to take over the mix. Now that I think of it a light cocoa color as the base could be very pretty with your other three original colors as accents (and no uncolored).

If I am remembering correctly, I have been reading that the usage rate for micas is 1 tsp per pound of oil (blended with 2-3 tablespoons of a light oil). I am about to start a 12 pound batch. Does that mean I add 12 teaspoons of Mica? Seems like a lot to me.

Also, on a related note, if I am mixing 2 colors (separately), does each color get 12 teaspoons or does each get 6 (assuming they were equal containers)? Or, for a ITP swirl, the pot would get 8 tsps and the batter for pouring into the pot would get 4?
Am I making any sense at all? o_O

RoT (rule of thumb) is 1 tea PPO, but it’s going to depend of what color you are hoping to achieve and your recipe. I generally do not pre-disburse Mica as it generally disperses fairly easily in my oils/butters, but when I do, I generally do a 1:1…1 teaspoon mica to 1 teaspoon oil. Now when it comes to other colorants like TD, pigments, oxides, clays, I will pre-disperse unless I want a ‘speckled’ soap and I use a 1:3…1 teaspoon of colorant to 3 teaspoons (or 1 tablespoon) of distilled water.

There is no difference between using 3 teaspoons of Mica for 3 lbs of oils and 12 teaspoons of Mica for 12 lbs of oils.

You use the amount of colorant appropriate to the amount of oils you are wanting to color that color, not the total amount of oils overall. So my for red, white and blue soap made with XX oz of oils, I would divide my batter into thirds and the add the correct amount of color for each third.

It’s what I did with my Mrs Zing’s Christmas Crack Soap except not only did I have to calculate the correct amount of colorant for each of the three layers, but also the correct amount of FO. Gets even more challenging when working with discoloring FOs.

The 1 tsp PPO guideline is for achieving the full color of a particular mica. I often use less because I tend to like softer, more pastel colors in my soap. Color may also vary based on the particular oils in your recipe.
The most important thing to remember is that the 1 tsp PPO thing is a guideline, not a rule. I wouldn't go over the recommendation, but I certainly wouldn't always strive to use the maximum.

These are AC, (they gray is just less AC in the batter), red brazilian clay, gold brazilian clay, and uncolored batter...if you were trying to make up your mind on using uncolored batter.
jesus soap.jpg
jesus soap front.jpg

FYI - 3 teaspoons equals 1 Tablespoon; 4 Tablespoons equals 1/4 cup volume. Therefore it would be easier to measure 1/4 cup than to measure 12 individual teaspoons... at least for me it would be. Remembering volume conversions can be quite handy at times. An ounce is 2 Tablespoons, therefore one cup equals 16 Tablespoons.

Do a test batch. Food based colorants color differently than micas. Some need far less, some need more.

At the risk of being disrespectful, I see the face of Jesus in the right photo.
EDIT: After reading What soapy thing have you done today?, maybe it's the face of St. Florian.
If anybody concentrates long enough they could see anything they want to... personally I don't see it.
One time though I could swear I saw Opus the Penguin in a frittata I once made.... Could've been Bill The Cat?
58be7d9ff3a48f101c29da5cff1f0e25.jpg

Back