$12.33, 3gal Lowes RBO !! ON SALE

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My nearest Lowe's is 45 minutes away. They have 17 in stock (down from 26 when this thread was started). Debating if I should take the chance that they will still have some in stock when I go through on the 7th or if I should ask my friend to pick it up for me... and how much should I get... and if I portion it off and freeze it would it be ok past the expiration date and for how long would it be good after thawing it...
I think they'll hold it for you for a certain period of time if you order online for pickup...not sure how long, though.

I'd bet that they won't be flying off the shelves. Mine was 20 feet up in the air and they had to get a forklift to get it down - only after being showed the web site saying they actually DID have stock. This was after assuring me that "Those are only available in the fall."

Point being, I'd bet the only people buying these are going there specifically to do so, having seen a heads-up on a site like this, or a BBQ, or bio-diesel site.

I'd take the risk if you really want the stuff, but don't forget to factor in the cost of the gas to get there and back. Your $2/gallon RBO might not be such a steal if you spend $12 in gas to get there. ;)

I tried to purchase some online for pickup. One Lowes called me and said they were substituting it with peanut oil. I told then no thank you! I did find it at another store and will pick it up tomorrow. I got 6 gallons. At 6.15 each container can't go wrong. They will hold it for 5 days.

I'd take the risk if you really want the stuff, but don't forget to factor in the cost of the gas to get there and back. Your $2/gallon RBO might not be such a steal if you spend $12 in gas to get there. ;)

Getting to the city that Lowes is in is a trip I make once a month anyways (and literally drive right past Lowes), so I wouldn't be making an extra trip just for that. If I really want to make sure that I get it, my friend who lives in that city could pick it up for me and I would pay her back when I see her. Although, on Thursday I am making a road trip to pick up my daughter from camp. I might keep my eyes peeled for a Lowes on the way... hopefully the camping gear will still fit in the car if I pick up one or two units...

Since opening any bottle of oil tends to introduce more air for oxygenation to occur, I would say don't open until you plan to begin using the oil and add the ROE to the bottle upon opening. If you don't have access to refrigeration for oils (space permitting can be a real issue with soaping oils), then I'd say store as dark & cool as possible, like in a basement.

If you don't have a basement or refrigeration for even a moderate shelf-life oil, then I'd advise against stocking up if you can't use it up before the next hot season in your storage area.

I have not stored soaping oils in my freezer, but might give it a try with at least one bottle to see if I notice any difference in shelf-life. First I have to see if I can make room in my stand-alone freezer for even one bottle of oil. I tend to keep my freezer full of food for eating, not for soap making oils.

I don't add the ROE until I open the container. I also don't have a basement but store my oils in a cool dark closet in a spare bedroom. I've never had an oil go bad unless it sat for a very very long time. Though I don't store any short shelf life oils at all.

i wonder if storing it under the house in the crawl space would keep it cool enough
$6, sweet mother of mercy, that is insane
I think a crawl space would be a great spot, zanzalwi. I actually considered that myself, since unlike George my hubby is still actively using his kegerator and controlled fermentors (the kegerator was my first thought). But I decided a closest in the center of my house should be cool and dark enough, plus it's easier to get to. But you've got me thinking again about the crawlspace, especially since I've poured some into a smaller container to keep me going awhile (hey there's beer down there too).

Debating if I should take the chance that they will still have some in stock when I go through on the 7th or if I should ask my friend to pick it up for me...

amd, I think you can put in an online order for a pickup date that you specify. I seem to recall being able to chose the day I wanted to pick mine up, though honesty I can't remember if it was a finite set of dates or completely open ended. Well anyway, you could have your friend pick one up and then decide on the 7th if you want another! The sale goes til 7/28.

amd, I think you can put in an online order for a pickup date that you specify. I seem to recall being able to chose the day I wanted to pick mine up, though honesty I can't remember if it was a finite set of dates or completely open ended. Well anyway, you could have your friend pick one up and then decide on the 7th if you want another! The sale goes til 7/28.

you dang enabler, you! :p

Holy cow! Just saw this thread, went online to my local (well, 30 miles away) Lowe's and they have over 30 in stock! I need to make a trip that direction in the next week anyway so I'm definitely going to pick some up. 3 gallons for $6.16? Can't beat that with a stick!

I'm bumping this because I wonder if they will discount this year too. But I don't see the %100 RBO this year

PLUS, Did anyone that bought this make an 100% RBO soap? or a 90% RBO soap? I am curious how it turned out for you.

A 100% RBO soap would be 36% linoleic + linolenic! I finally got around to making a few batches with 20 - 30% RBO and they are definitely different from the same recipes made with OO or HO sunflower oil. In particular, they seem a bit brittle and I had a little bit of trouble with the edges chipping off when I was trying to bevel them. I ordered my oil from Riceland via Amazon. I don’t recall the price, but it was definitely not $12 for 3 gallons.

Last edited:
Just checked my local Lowes and HD, and neither had rice bran oil in stock. Would love to hear if anyone finds it in stock elsewhere. Thanks!

I'm bumping this because I wonder if they will discount this year too. But I don't see the %100 RBO this year

PLUS, Did anyone that bought this make an 100% RBO soap? or a 90% RBO soap? I am curious how it turned out for you.

Yes, I made 100% RBO soap. Here is the thread: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/two-single-oil-soaps-with-without-vinegar.70706/

Overall, the 100% RBO soap does not bubble up or lather well and was very short-lived soap - it wastes away in the water very quickly as used. However it left my skin feeling very nice afterwards. I still have some of that soap left, but since I am not at home and will not be again for several months, I cannot do a follow up on it to see if it has improved at all with a longer cure. Besides, I am not even sure it won't be DOSy upon my return. I sure hope not since I used Zero Superfat, but as we all know, that's not a guaranteed number given the leeway that is built into lye calculators.

Latest posts

Back