$12.33, 3gal Lowes RBO !! ON SALE

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George, I went through a similar thought process about how much I really need. But at $11 (with 10% off internet coupon) and ROE in my stash, the offer is too good to refuse. I knew I'd be near a Lowe's today (I live 45 mi away and HATE the road it's on), and with the pickup service zanza mentioned, I couldn't resist. So I guess I'll start planning Thanksgiving dinner soon. And definitely some soap!

FYI, I have been reading that people use RBO instead of Oo for Cooking and kitchen stuff.
I don't remember all they said but that it was a higher burn point and good taste. yadda yadda yuadda
I don't use OO to cook, shoot I barely cook !

^^Yes, that's why this RBO is marketed as turkey fryer oil. To be such, it must be high oleic (HO), which works in our favor regarding shelf life, dreaded orange spots, and being able to use fairly high amounts. Makes me wonder if SoapCalc or Soapee profiles are accurate, given they both show nearly equal percentages (~35%) of oleic and linoleic fatty acids. I wouldn't expect that for a high temp cooking oil.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Thank you @CaraBou I have been looking at fatty acids in relation to making a different recipe and I was thinking the same thing.

But I am not as studied on acid profiles as others are on here and just took the calc as it says.

Today I added about 5 grams of ROE to my RBO, to fend off oxidation, since it may take a long while to use all that oil. I used this food volume to weight conversion calculator to estimate that 3 gallons of RBO weighs approximately 10.45 kg. Since each kg of oil needs a maximum of 0.5 g ROE, I computed that only 5.2 g of ROE were needed. I could have used as little as 2.6 g. Just goes to show that even a small bottle of ROE goes a long way - and is a good investment.

Because ROE is thick/viscous, it helps to whisk it into a smaller amount of oil first, then add that mixture back to the main RBO container and swish it around really good. I made this even easier by first pouring off about 2 kg of the RBO into smaller containers (a masterbatch tub and a recently emptied olive oil bottle) so I'd have more room to accommodate swishing & mixing in the big 3 gal. Plus, now I won't have to work from the giant jug as often. So I just split the 5 g of ROE proportionally between those two containers. I'll swish those containers around again each time I use them so everything stays mixed good.

I got most of these tips from lotioncrafter and classic bells.

Last thing to say, since I haven't used RBO much, I noticed the golden brown color. So, in addition to making a regular batch with colorants, I made a few guest bars without any so I can see its true self tomorrow.

would this keep in the freezer and can it be exchanged equally with another oil without having to go through MATH? (ugh!) lol

I don't know about keeping it in the freezer. I keep my oils in a cool, dark cabinet. I don't know if there would be an advantage to freezing.
Every oil is different so any time you change your recipe, you need to run the new recipe through soapcalc, soapee or some calculator to get the proper lye amount.

Thanks @CaraBou I will keep those links !
I have not noticed any color change so far in my batches from 5-28 and one I did on 6-12.

Good idea on the ROE, I will have to see if I have some.

Wonder how good this would be in a Bath bomb .... since I am testing today I will add some :)

I bought a jug last week. The receipt is probably in my recycling can at the curb waiting for pick up, but I really don't want to go out there and try to sort through it all. Especially since it could be in the trash among all my soap making residue or other unsavory stuff. I don't have room to store another 3 gallons, but that is seriously like practically free and, if I sold, I would definitely be happy dancing all the way there to stock up.

Six bucks -- what a steal!
I wonder what the date stamp is. Mine was smudged and unreadable, but I wondered if it had been sitting around awhile.

RBO def makes a decent white soap, with 25% anyway. Here’s a guest bar from last week.
IMG_6963.jpg

HOLY CRAP ! TY !

Awwww Mine is still $12 something here. I wonder if it will change.

Actually it is cheaper in the 2 town in NH, $6.16

Best By date on mine is October 2018.

I have the luxury of unused fridge space left over from my brewing days, so all the oil gets stored cold and dark. I'm not worried about it.

My nearest Lowe's is 45 minutes away. They have 17 in stock (down from 26 when this thread was started). Debating if I should take the chance that they will still have some in stock when I go through on the 7th or if I should ask my friend to pick it up for me... and how much should I get... and if I portion it off and freeze it would it be ok past the expiration date and for how long would it be good after thawing it...

Latest posts

Back