100% vegetable shortening...not

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacyspy

Reaction score
As I was grocery shopping yesterday, I was in the baking aisle and thought to myself... "Self, maybe you should make a soap using Crisco". I haven't made one in a good bit, so it sounded like a plan. Sitting alongside the Crisco was the GV brand 100% vegetable shortening...at a little over a dollar cheaper, I thought I'd get both and see what the difference may be in a soap.
Imagine my surprise when I get home and look at the ingredient list on the GV brand 100% vegetable shortening (typed with sarcasm).... the first ingredient on the list is.....wait for it....beef tallow. Really? In vegetable shortening? I mean, for me beef as a veg works...lol... but how can they say it's 100% veg?

GV makes two types: "Shortening" and "All-Vegetable Shortening." The first has tallow and palm, and the second is soy and cottonseed. They don't make one called "100% vegetable shortening."

Yes, the Wal Mart "Shortening" does say...but it's hard to see because the letters are almost the same color as the can's blue color....made from meats and vegetable oils.

they carry two, the meat version and the vegetable version as well as name brand Crisco. I have used the meat shortening to make soap and I am pleased with it. It's cheap, readily available and my family is happy with the final product...I'm pleased with the price. :)

Chefmom what SAP do you use for the meat shortening? I've seen it and been tempted, but I wasn't sure how to calculate for it.

Chefmom what SAP do you use for the meat shortening? I've seen it and been tempted, but I wasn't sure how to calculate for it.

I use soapcalc.net for all my calculations. If you look at the list, towards the very bottom you will find ""Walmart GV Shortening, tallow, palm"" I just plug that in and go from there. It's the reason I picked it up in the first place, because it was already on the soapcalc list.

Latest posts

Back