100% tallow soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjebanks47

Reaction score
Tried to make a batch of 100% tallow soap for laundry use, 0 superfat. Never really a good trace and had fat sitting loose. Hot process, ran through the soap calc 3 times. Is there any way to save it now?
Thanks for any help or insight.

No need for these silly details. Just give me a moment...

Carnac.jpg

I did hot process it. The recipe was 32 Oz tallow, 12.16 Oz water, 4.56 lye. I don't have a pic at this time, but I will try to post one this evening. Thanks for yall's response.

How long did you wait? In my crockpot the 100% lard usually takes about 30 minutes to turn.

I cooked it in a crock pot on low, lid on. I did stir at 30 minutes because it just did not seem to be "gelling" for me. I have not ever had this happen before. I'm just at the point of trying to figure out if I can rebatch or if it goes into the trash.

Does it zap?

Did you render the tallow yourself? If so, and you used Lionprincess' method with the salt and the baking soda, perhaps there was some salt and/or baking soda left and that made things go wonky?

I did not try the zap test yet, I rendered my own tallow - no salt or baking soda, just a little water when I rendered it, then I double filter it. I did not even think to zap test it, I was so flustered with the fat that was just sitting in the mold that I thought the soap was not usable.

Latest posts

Back