100% Sheep Tallow Soap turns pink

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Reaction score
I raise grass fed hair sheep and decided to make 100% sheep tallow soap. After the lye is mixed in to the tallow, the mixture turns a nice bright pink color. The soap turns out very good, and after it hardens the pink color is much more subdued - more of a light creamy pink color. I have made this soap twice and it did the same think both times. When I use less then 100% tallow, adding other oils it doesn't turn pink. Any ideas why? I am guessing there is some mineral in the sheep tallow that chemically causes the pink color.

Here are a couple photos of the bars. They are much so much less pink then after I mix in the lye, but you can still see the pink color.

Attachments

• 0129211251.jpg
    0129211251.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 0129211252.jpg
    0129211252.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 35
I saw this happen in a YouTube video of a lady, possibly Amish, who used water from a river. I have had lye water turn pink on me (rainwater) but it did not carry on to the soap.

That is such a pretty color! I've read of that happening sometimes with coconut oil, too.

I read the chemical explanation for it at the time, but didn't bookmark it, so I cannot find it anywhere now.

Latest posts

Back