100% Palm Oil Soap???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vuladams

Reaction score
I came across a bar recently that's made with only palm oil as the fat. I've done pure CO with 20% SF. Would the palm oil recipe be similar? The bar is ridiculously amazing and I'm inclined to try it. Anyone try this before? I haven't read anything about it yet...

I imagine it would be similar to a 100% lard bar, gentle and creamy. I see no reason not to make some if you like it. I would use 5-8% SF and make sure you use palm oil, not palm kernel.

How's lather? Is it really 100% palm oil?
I was planning to make something similar since I have about 7-8kg of palm oil to use up until December. :)
I was thinking maybe pail oil in really high percentage and then add some CO and castor for bubbles.

Palm oil is sometimes called vegetable tallow. It's going to be more like tallow or lard. Palm kernel oil (PKO) is more like coconut oil. Like Obsidian suggested, I too wouldn't overdo the superfat.

I bought a bar of soap: 80% palm oil, 20 co, early in august and use it at the kitchen sink. It doesn't lather well, not a stable lather at all. But...I wash my hands 20 times a day and it doesn't dry me out. And this bar (7 oz new) is harder than a 50 year old castille and going to last until next August!

I bought a bar of soap: 80% palm oil, 20 co, early in august and use it at the kitchen sink. It doesn't lather well, not a stable lather at all. But...I wash my hands 20 times a day and it doesn't dry me out. And this bar (7 oz new) is harder than a 50 year old castille and going to last until next August!
What’s the percentage of lye in 80% palm oil soap?

What’s the percentage of lye in 80% palm oil soap?

The percentage of NaOH (lye) should be zero in a properly made soap, no matter what fats were used to make it.

If you're asking what amount of NaOH is required to make soap from a particular blend of fats, you need to decide what the other 20% of the fats are and use a soap recipe calculator to determine the NaOH and water weights.

If you don't know how to use a soap recipe calc, it's time to learn. Knowing how to calculate a soap recipe is a valuable skill for all soap makers. I recommend https://soapmakingfriend.com or https://soapee.com

And welcome to the group! Introduce yourself in the Introductions forum and tell us a little about yourself.

Back