100% olive oil soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mschwartz

Reaction score
I was going to try making a 100% olive oil soap. I was thinking of giving it away for Christmas this year. I’ve read conflicting stuff that people either love it or hate it. I was thinking of lemongrass and lavender EO for the scent. With the long cure times is it worth scenting or just go unscented? Thanks

Lavender lemongrass sounds great. You can try making Zany’s No-Slime Castile using faux sea water. I make the bastile version with 20% CO and 5% castor. It has become a favorite for several friends, and it doesn’t need a year-long cure. Not slimey-snotty, either.

people either love it or hate it
People also have personal taste that builds up over their whole life, and is most often not only based on fairness. Understanding a certain type of soap needs more than a single try. You can't expect from someone who has grown up with syndet bars, to be an instant convert to castile soaps and their boring temperament with slippery feel, reluctant lather, and chalky-dry skin afterwards. For sure there are people who really dislike this (or their skin just doesn't tolerate it). There are other people who, after trying it, have decided that it is not worth the fuss. But many just have never given it the fair chance it deserves, and their judgment is premature.

In this sense, your idea for Christmas presents is not only a lovely gesture, but also has a “sociological experiment” component to it.

is it worth scenting or just go unscented?
I know all the “Scent Sells” chants too well, but IMHO any soap is worth being unscented (i. e. I'm not objective on this topic). You are not selling. You don't have to convince people with the smell of jelly bean rainbows. They can't defend against being given it 😉.
And technically, castile soap hasn't a particularly good reputation of keeping scents very well. But just in case: Longest lasting EOs

People also have personal taste that builds up over their whole life, and is most often not only based on fairness. Understanding a certain type of soap needs more than a single try. You can't expect from someone who has grown up with syndet bars, to be an instant convert to castile soaps and their boring temperament with slippery feel, reluctant lather, and chalky-dry skin afterwards. For sure there are people who really dislike this (or their skin just doesn't tolerate it). There are other people who, after trying it, have decided that it is not worth the fuss. But many just have never given it the fair chance it deserves, and their judgment is premature.

In this sense, your idea for Christmas presents is not only a lovely gesture, but also has a “sociological experiment” component to it.

I know all the “Scent Sells” chants too well, but IMHO any soap is worth being unscented (i. e. I'm not objective on this topic). You are not selling. You don't have to convince people with the smell of jelly bean rainbows. They can't defend against being given it 😉.
And technically, castile soap hasn't a particularly good reputation of keeping scents very well. But just in case: Longest lasting EOs
That’s why I was wondering about scenting something that’ll cure that long.

AFAIK it's not so much the long cure. The soap itself (purportedly due to its low saturated FA content) is said to make the fragrances evaporate quicker, than they would from a balanced recipe (with hard oils).

Back