100% Lard?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilsonFamilyPicnic

Reaction score
So, isn't that how grandma made it back in the day? Just lard? I was thinking about it and i got curious about what a pure lard soap would be like. I was thinking of making some for a friend who does reenacting...but i ran it through soap calc and got a cleansing value of 1....

the question is: Is it crazy-talk to think about an all lard bar? Or was granny slipping in some exotic oils too?? :shock:

It makes an AWESOME stain stick.

no kidding, but i make mine with 50% shortening and 50% lard.

And to use simply use a spray mist bottle and dampen the garment and rub your bar on the stain. Then if needed use one of your discarded toothbrushes that made it into your cleaning closet. Or buy one just for the job, it doesn't matter. And scrub as needed. Toss into washer and wash as usual.

Least that is what I use them for.

I bought a bar of soap that was supposed to be made from lard, and it worked great. It cleaned well and lathered real bubbly. After that I wrote to the seller on Ebay and she said that she added 10% other vegitable oil, but didn't say what.

I think I should make a 50/50, lard/ tallow bar with 10% coconut oil and see what happens.

Hey Faithy. How does your lard bar work as a body soap?

well, we've made three 1 lb batches tonight....i think they are all gonna turn out good. i covered them and wrapped them in a towel and nestled them snuggly into my little cabinet where they are cooking away right now! so, i think since it's close to midnight its time to get a little crazy and i am gonna go for the 100% lard bar...

At Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO, there is a lady there who works full time HPing 100% lard soap they sell for $2.50 per bar. Since they may have .25 to .35 cents into each bar, they make tens of thousands of dollars per year selling, and I quote, "Granny's Ole Time Lye Soap!" She told me late this summer total sales for this spring/summer were at close to $80,000! :shock: She and I traded soap a few times this summer and I still have a bar of their peppermint lard soap. It is just OK IMHO, but that is what they used to use! I like it at 15% and tallow at 10% in my favorite AF recipe, which is my personal favorite recipe of mine!

Paul

I am completely out of oils, other than coconut and shea...my other supplies are on their way...and there is no way I can go a WEEK without soaping...(hence all the rebatching lately...) So I think I am going to give this lard soap a try tomorrow... I like recipes with lard for my own use...tho a few people I know give me crap about it...(Surrounded by Vegans) So it will be OUR secret. :wink:

I once read lard can cause skin problems and breaking out...Has anyone else read this anywhere or had any problems?

made the 100% lard batch! colored it with some of the mica sample i got called "patina sheen" from brambleberry. beautiful green in the bag....weird grey green in the soap. also tossed in some of the arabian spice fo sample we got. so it looks and smells funky....but we cut it and its a nice hard bar. I'll let you know how it turns out!

WilsonFamilyPicnic said:
made the 100% lard batch! colored it with some of the mica sample i got called "patina sheen" from brambleberry. beautiful green in the bag....weird grey green in the soap. also tossed in some of the arabian spice fo sample we got. so it looks and smells funky....but we cut it and its a nice hard bar. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Cool. Let us know how it cures out. I have yet to make a 100% lard bar, only used the ones I got from Silver Dollar City from the lady who makes it for them. It is about 3 months old, maybe 4, very hard, but lost the scent totally! It is not really bubbly, rather creamy , lotion like lather. It sure leaves your skin feeling great! I think I'll try one that is 60% lard, 30% coconut oil, 5% castor and 5% safflower oil. That should be a great conditioning, bubbly bar of soap! Hummmm....off to the soap room ;later....

Paul :wink:

So, here's the prelimnary findings on the 100% Lard bar....cured 3 weeks, very hard bar! did a hand washing with it...there were actually some bubbles, i was expecting to see zero, but there were some there to let me know that it actually was soap. :)

All in all, it was ok. I think the biggest thing is the novelty factor, hey this is the way they did it back in the day....i haven't gotten to try it out as a stain remover on clothes yet....just give me a few hours i am sure i'll spill something!

Latest posts

Back