100% Coconut Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black squirrel

Reaction score
So I made my all coconut oil soap yesterday and I just barely superfatted it at 2%. It was only a one pound batch and it set up rather quickly, within 4 hours. Is this the case when you have the saponification percent closer to zero? Or is this just because of the hard coconut oil? It was so hard I could barely cut it this morning but I said wanted a hard bar! I shaved it for laundry soap and I love how it looks like shredded coconut .
shreds2.jpg

Yea it does look nice, well I have never made 100% coconut oil soap.. But Paul would be the one to ask. If you used a FO it could have accelerated, also.. water discount too..

100% CO soap does set faster than other oils added to CO. I love it super fatted at 20 to 25%. It makes an amazing long lasting hard bar that is really nice. I am starting to do 80% CO with 10%OO and 10% RBO. I cut the SF back to 15%. It's in the early curing stage now. I scented with Tropical Coconut FO. I took a mild discount, and soaped it at a 33% lye solution rate using my aloe vera/goat milk as liquids. I'll get a pic posted.

ETA: Yea, that is a beautiful white shredded soap! 8)

Paul.... :wink:

Will you use this dry as is or add water and borax to it?

Washing soda is sodium carbonate or soda ash. When used in laundry it softens the water and cuts grease and oil. It is also one of the main components in glass. You can make it by heating baking soda but it is much easier to buy at the grocery store!

Borax is sodium borate and it when added to water some of the molecules are changed to hydrogen peroxide, which whitens clothes. It is also a buffer for the soap and helps it "clean" better. I heart chemistry!

black squirrel said:
Borax is sodium borate and it when added to water some of the molecules are changed to hydrogen peroxide, which whitens clothes. It is also a buffer for the soap and helps it "clean" better. I heart chemistry!

I am so glad we have a resident chemist on-board now! Cool! 8) You know where we are going for our chemical questions now! :lol: Thanks so much for helping like this. 8)

Paul.... :wink:

I know this is an older thread, but am wondering how much borax and washing soda you add. Also, what did you use to shave the soap. Very nice looking and I'll bet it cleans beautifully.

Back