100% coconut oil soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winusuren

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm from India and after reading a lot of articles on making100 percent coconut oil soap with 20% superfat, I tried that. I used home made coconut milk as a replacement for water. After 45 days of cure, I started using the soap. The lather was extremely good and felt really happy. But 10 minutes after bath, I could feel the extreme dryness on my skin and felt very disappointed. Have any of you used a superfat above 20 percent in your CO soaps? I read an article and a person mentioned that 100 percent CO soap with 30-33% seems fine for her. Have anyone tried a very high superfat at this range?? CO is easily available in India and the cost is also reasonable. I used unrefined CO for my soap.

From which state you are from? I am from Chennai India. I have made 100 percent coconut oil soap with 100 percent aloe juice instead of water. The soap is very good and I have no dryness. I depends on your skin.

From which state you are from? I am from Chennai India. I have made 100 percent coconut oil soap with 100 percent aloe juice instead of water. The soap is very good and I have no dryness. I depends on your skin.
Ok ok.Thank you for the reply. I'm from Erode. As you say, it might be drying for me. Next time, I'll try using aloevera juice instead of coconut milk.

Ok ok.Thank you for the reply. I'm from Erode. As you say, it might be drying for me. Next time, I'll try using aloevera juice instead of coconut milk.
Are you selling handmade soaps or just making for your personal use?

I am also making only for personal use. Having ideas to sell but in India, manufacturing soaps come under Drug and cosmetic act and we have to get a manufacturing license to sell soaps. It is a very difficult process as we have to study Chemistry in the graduation and also must have a B pharm certificate. Also the rules for getting the license is very absurd for making hand made soaps.

Hi,
I'm from India and after reading a lot of articles on making100 percent coconut oil soap with 20% superfat, I tried that. I used home made coconut milk as a replacement for water. After 45 days of cure, I started using the soap. The lather was extremely good and felt really happy. But 10 minutes after bath, I could feel the extreme dryness on my skin and felt very disappointed. Have any of you used a superfat above 20 percent in your CO soaps? I read an article and a person mentioned that 100 percent CO soap with 30-33% seems fine for her. Have anyone tried a very high superfat at this range?? CO is easily available in India and the cost is also reasonable. I used unrefined CO for my soap.
I've been making 100% Coconut Oil soap with 30% superfat and that works pretty well. I also suggest you try curing the soaps longer - most of the time 100% Coconut Oil soaps do better with a 3-6 month cure.

I've also made 100% CO with 30% SF, and it was far less drying.

Another option is to make salt bars: 100% CO with salt added. There is something about the salt that makes the coconut oil soap less drying to my skin. I generally add salt in the amount of 50% of the weight of the coconut oil used. So if my batch is 1000g of CO, then I add 500g of finely ground salt when the batter has reached medium trace. That helps the salt stay suspended and not fall to the bottom of the mold.

If you can make salt bars in cavity molds, that is easiest since no cutting will be required. If you make it in a loaf mold, you need to watch carefully and cut within 2-3 hours, or it will be too hard and crumbly to cut. These do need to cure for a long time - 8 months or more is best.

Also, is shea butter available to you? Using 10% shea butter would make the bar last longer, and have a little more conditioning. If you aren't opposed to using animal fats, and they are available for you, lard and tallow are also very nice in soap.

Another option is to make salt bars: 100% CO with salt added. There is something about the salt that makes the coconut oil soap less drying to my skin. I generally add salt in the amount of 50% of the weight of the coconut oil used. So if my batch is 1000g of CO, then I add 500g of finely ground salt when the batter has reached medium trace. That helps the salt stay suspended and not fall to the bottom of the mold.

If you can make salt bars in cavity molds, that is easiest since no cutting will be required. If you make it in a loaf mold, you need to watch carefully and cut within 2-3 hours, or it will be too hard and crumbly to cut. These do need to cure for a long time - 8 months or more is best.

Also, is shea butter available to you? Using 10% shea butter would make the bar last longer, and have a little more conditioning. If you aren't opposed to using animal fats, and they are available for you, lard and tallow are also very nice in soap.
Yes!!! My salt soaps are 80% Coconut Oil, 20% Shea Butter, 75% Salt - and 30% SF, and I cure the for a minimum of 3 months - 6 is even better.

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. Shea is available but it's very costly. I usually use at 5% max in my soaps. We can't use animal fats too. I'll better try 100% CO with 30 superfat and let them cure for six months and another batch with salt..

I am also making only for personal use. Having ideas to sell but in India, manufacturing soaps come under Drug and cosmetic act and we have to get a manufacturing license to sell soaps. It is a very difficult process as we have to study Chemistry in the graduation and also must have a B pharm certificate. Also the rules for getting the license is very absurd for making hand made soaps.
Wow, that's a lot for just soap!

Latest posts

Back