100% Coconut oil soap with SF>20...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapprentice

Reaction score
Hey guys, did anyone try a 100% CO soap with SF >20? Why and why not? I made a 70%CO with 20 SF and it feels good on my skin. It made me wonder if I were to make a 100% Co soap, should I go higher than 20? I'm new and hovering in the zone of 'what ifs' lately :D...

I make a salt bar that is 95% coconut, 5% castor with a 20% superfat. I think I"ve read of some people here making 25% superfat. I think at some point, superfat would be too high and you'd have goop. But I have no idea what that point is.

I've been doing it for awhile, but have never gone over 20%. You can most certainly always experiment with a higher S/F, but because of the high solubility of saponified coconut oil (it makes for a quick-melting/short-lived soap), increasing the superfat may only cause it to be even more short-lived.

IrishLass :)

I have done a 25%SF salt bar and it is possible with a nice skin feel, but it doesn't last long. I didn't calculate lye purity so there is a possibility that I had closer to 30%SF. They are my first salt bars so I'm not sure I can confidently say if the longevity was due to the higher SF or if it's just the nature of a salt bar - thy last 3-4 showers instead of my 3+ week average for other bars.

I also have 100% peanut butter bars that I think have an extremely high SF. I keep forgetting to test them and have to dig out my notes, they're over a year old.

I have done a 25%SF salt bar and it is possible with a nice skin feel, but it doesn't last long. I didn't calculate lye purity so there is a possibility that I had closer to 30%SF. They are my first salt bars so I'm not sure I can confidently say if the longevity was due to the higher SF or if it's just the nature of a salt bar - thy last 3-4 showers instead of my 3+ week average for other bars.

I also have 100% peanut butter bars that I think have an extremely high SF. I keep forgetting to test them and have to dig out my notes, they're over a year old.

Peanut butter bars? I'll have to look that up! Sounds yummy. But I bet the smell doesn't stay just like everything, through the saponification.

Peanut butter bars? I'll have to look that up! Sounds yummy. But I bet the smell doesn't stay just like everything, through the saponification.

Without testing, I'd suggest use peanut butter at 1-2tbsp at trace. The texture looks horrible and that's one of the reasons I've been putting it off.

Latest posts

Back