100% coconut oil soap cure time

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saintlysoaper

Reaction score
I made a 100% coconut oil soap at 20% SF about 7 months ago. Quite early on I dismissed it as far too drying for me and left it alone. I just tried a bar today and it feels fantastic.

So, my question is, does anyone else feel this soap recipe needs a REALLY long cure to get milder? I gave not seen this mentioned anywhere with this recipe and I wonder if I should have tried again sooner.

So, my question is, does anyone else feel this soap recipe needs a REALLY long cure to get milder?

It really depends on the individual soaper and their particular skin-type.

Speaking only for myself, I'm able to use my 100% CO bars with a 20% S/F as early as 4 weeks just fine, but I do know that others here on the forum like to hold out for a much longer cure for this type of bar. Hopefully they will chime in soon.

IrishLass :)

I have been wanting to try a 100 % CO soap, but have not gotten up the courage to do so yet. I'm still only a couple of months into making soap, so I'm still experimenting with different recipes to figure out which one my family and I like best. So far I'm really loving the lard soap I have!

That's great! I certainly know about trying different recipes and it seems I may be heading for a one oil soap after all the different ingredients I've tried:rolleyes:

I find I like a really long 6 month cure for 100% CO 20%SF soaps. However I also tend to like a longer cure with other CP soaps too! I guess it comes down to your skin type like Irish Lass says.

I've tried testing my bars monthly and at a push I could use them at 4 months, but they were so much milder and scrummier with a longer cure, that it's worth the wait! Good luck with yours and let us know how the "cure" progresses.:)

The bubbles must be a lot right? I would like to make 100% CO soap soon. Have your soaps developed any DOS due to high SF percentage?

Last edited:
Hi mymy

Yes, the bubbles / lather is very good and has a fluffy feeling compared to the creamier feeling in my regular soaps. One thing I love about these it the complete lack of olive oil "slime" I have in so many other bars.
There has been no sign of DOS and it has held the synthetic fragrance I used beautifully. I remember making these one evening in individual moulds and the next morning they were like rocks! Nothing I have made has come close to the hardness. Also, I used extra virgin coconut oil and the colour was/is pure white. When I make the next lot tonight, I'll be using a cheaper cream coloured grade with a different texture so we'll see what difference that makes.

I think I will also make some with coconut milk or yoghurt too.

Thank you saintlysoaper :) . Extra virgin CO. Okay, I'll add this into my shopping list. I was once used high percentage of CO when I made my salt bars. I used about 80% of CO. They are still curing so I have no chance to try, pretty sad.

That's good to know. I am hoping that there will be no great difference when I use the cheaper grade as the Virgin CO is so much more pricey. It was all I had at the time I made them though.

Latest posts

Back