100% coconut oil soap/100 coconut milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal43

Reaction score
Can you share your tips and tricks for 100% coconut oil and milk cup soap. I’ve done it 100% coconut oil and water but I’ve read it tends to over heat because of the sugar content. Any other suggestions would be great.

F37E33AC-1FF9-4F42-8451-B9F6A5A28233.jpeg

Obsidian gave me her tips in on this topic. So I just wanted to include it. I asked the question within a post so I decided to make a separate thread for the question.TIA

I don't make 100% CO soap for salt bars but use 80% CO and coconut milk. I do the split method. I mix my lye with water 1:1 and then add powdered milk to liquid milk and add that to my oils and blend well before adding the lye mixture. Never have a problem with it. I do 18% SF and 30% Lye concentration.

I don't make 100% CO soap for salt bars but use 80% CO and coconut milk. I do the split method. I mix my lye with water 1:1 and then add powdered milk to liquid milk and add that to my oils and blend well before adding the lye mixture. Never have a problem with it. I do 18% SF and 30% Lye concentration.

I don’t want a salt bar either. So what should be done if I only have liquid coconut milk? Do you use olive oil for the other 20% of oil?

No, I don't use olive oil at all but I also don't make just coconut oil soap except for laundry on occasion. I use water for that. I make salt bars with 80% CO, 15% Avocado and 5% Castor. 100% Coconut oil soap is very soluble . Absorbs a lot of water and doesn't last nearly as long.

I make my salt bars with 100% coconut oil and use 100% coconut milk as my liquid, with the caveat that I do the split method with it, i.e., I dissolve my lye in an equal amount of water by weight, then use coconut milk for my remaining balance of required liquid.....either part canned coconut milk/part powdered (i.e., I fortify the canned balance of milk with enough powdered coconut milk to bring the concentration up to what would equal out to be 100% coconut milk concentration for my entire liquid amount).....or I use all powdered coconut milk, adding enough of it to my remaining balance of water to equal a 100% concentration for my entire water amount.

Anytime I make a 100% coconut oil soap, whether it be a salt bar or a regular bar, I have to keep an eye on it because of how hot it gets. It's the only kind I soap cool and don't CPOP. Just sitting on my counter, whether it has milk in it or not, it gets super hot, rises up a little bit as it's fully gelling, then it settles down as it cools, and is ready to be unmolded and cut within 6 hours after pour. So far, I've never had an actual volcano to where it spills over, but I have had cracking on top as it raises up a tad while gelling, but I found a good fix for that: I place bubble-wrap on the top of my batter, and voila, no more cracks.

IrishLass :)

I don’t like 100% coconut oil soaps (not salt bars) because they totally dissolve in a few uses. I find that really annoying if I’ve purchased the bar.

if I want 100% milk I do the split method like shunt and Irish Lass. So very easy.

Latest posts

Back