10 yr old Fo's

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I met a former soaper who had several bottles of fo's stored away. She gave up soaping after her kids were born...and moved on to mostly digital crafts. They're from wsp, and smell great but are they too old to use now?

I think if they smell fine and don't look cloudy or otherwise unusual, I'd use them. I've smelled some older FOs that had an odd sour odor, somewhat like a rancid smell -- they got tossed.

Ditto what DeeAnna said. I have some FOs going on 8 years old now that are still in great shape and behave perfectly fine in my soap.

IrishLass :)

3rd ditto. I've use 10 year old FOs with no problem. I generally have more of a problem with discoloration than with the smell changing. I just recently used some 10 year old Cranberry Fig and it turned the soap orange, but it smells great!

If the FO smells like plastic, I would not use it, or maybe use it in a very small test batch. In my experience, that plastic smell remains even after soaped.

Back