10% kaolin soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaolin washer

Reaction score
20210302_085428.jpg
made this last night , using 400g olive oil,50g coconut oil, 50g lard. 2 to one water to lye. mixed 50g of New zeland haloysite clay in the water and lye, and mixed as normal , got trace , then vasaline stage and into the mold, drying on rack now

I took the liberty of putting your recipe into SoapCalc.
Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 7.04.32 PM.png

Looking at the Soap Bar Quality, all except one of your values are outside the recommended Range. I love White Kaoline Clay to whiten soap. When adding clay to soap, I use 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon PPO (Per Pound Oils). Since 1 tablespoon clay = 1/2 oz. (approx.) and 50 grams is 1.75 oz (approx.) it may be more than this batch can handle.

Sat : Unsat Ratio of 27:73 TIP: For a more balanced bar, try lowering the olive oil and raising the lard to get closer to 50:50 while staying within recommended ranges. I would also bump the coconut oil to 15% to increase lather.

It will be interesting to see how this soap behaves after it cures. :)

Thanks for doing the calculation,soap calc will not work for me , it refuses to give me the recipe, so i just find out the Sap value now and do the math myself, ya i was thinking to lower the clay , i will give a try with your recommendations on the next batch . I tried some of the soap and it seems to work good ,about the slipperiest thing on earth.I think to much kaolin would cause it to break down to fast .

If you can't see the recipe, you aren't finishing the calculation process properly for whatever reason. Be sure to click the "View/print recipe" button.

Also, if you have changed your browser settings so the browser cannot open new window, this will prevent you from seeing the recipe. A restrictive ad blocker can sometimes prevent new windows from opening.

If you still can't use Soapcalc, then start using Soapee Next or Soapmakingfriend.com

Doing the math by hand is certainly educational, but limiting yourself to hand calculations makes it more difficult to evaluate recipes. The recipes you have been sharing here are ... okay ... but IMO there's room for improvement. Using a computer-based calculator will make that improvement easier to achieve.

If you can't see the recipe, you aren't finishing the calculation process properly for whatever reason. Be sure to click the "View/print recipe" button.
That's what I was going to say but @DeeAnna beat me to it! :D Once you click that button, page 2 comes up with the recipe with space to add notes then print out. I keep this with the batch all the way through the cure.

In addition to the rest of DeeAnna's sage advice, I encourage you to NOT make another batch of soap until you find a lye calculator you are comfortable with. It's your single most trusted tool at this stage of the game. It lays the foundation for success in the future. If you need help with that, just ask! :videovisit:

Here's a post you may find helpful:
Hello Very New Here

I'd also like to encourage you to take some time to introduce yourself. Tell us about your level of soapmaking experience and anything else that's interesting about you that you care to share. Knowing more about where you're coming from helps us to help you. ;)

Zany, thanks for the tips, i just tried what you said and the soap worked out good . it hardened on the spatula as soap and took a long time to wash off, making nice suds should be a nice bar this time half lard , halfolive oil and 15% coconut and less helmer kaolin i did use. a 2 water to 1 part lye and it set up just fine. I think i will hang on to this recipe, it really got suponified good.look at that picture of the suds from washing off the dry soap no floating oil

Attachments

• 20210305_103036.jpg
    20210305_103036.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 12
Back