1 Weird Problem

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryas1728

Reaction score
Currently I am trying to get the color of the Steelers football team into a soap and just when I thought everything was going to cooperate my Yellow Oxide turned to a gray and the Black Oxide stayed black. It looked fine in the mold but the day after I took the soap out and cut into bars the yellow turned. Heavy Sigh, :cry:

To infuse my oxides I mixed 1 1/2 tsp of black oxide in a 1/2 cup of my melted oils and 2 1/4 tsp of yellow oxide in a 1/2 cup of my melted oils, I mixed well so there were no lumps. Since I was separating my 5 pound soap batch (2.5 per bowl) I added the black to one bowl and the yellow to another bowl.

I have a vertical mold (from Brambleberry) with a divider and I filled both
cavities with my colored soap pulled and twisted to divider to get a swirl. Everything looked great in the mold... my yellow was yellow and my black was black. It should have been perfect..right? Wrong!! When I took the mold apart the yellow was not so yellow and when I cut the bars the yellow started to turn gray about 6 hours out of the mold.

Any advise/help/thoughts on what to do now? Could I grate the bars down add to a new batch of soap? or should I just re-batch the whole soap batch and can I do anything to lighten this up? I am at a total loss,

Any help would be so appreciated

Were you using any fo's or eo's?

If you try to rebatch it, it will most likely just be one gray soap.
You could grate them down and add to a new batch though.

The only time I've had an oxide color change on me is from a fragrance oil that discolored the entire batch. What fragrance oil did you use?

This is my Black N Gold Soap Bar. My mistake with this soap was I didn't mix my activated charcoal with oil before I added it to my soap batter. This caused the black color to separate. But, I know this for next time. My "gold" color was from infusing annatto seeds in olive oil and adding 2 Tbsp of that infusion to my soap batter.

The Natural Soap Collection 007.jpg

glad to see you on this forum @ bryas1728 , i am over here as well , wonderful people here as well . you get more input and insight as well , plus you get timely responses instead of waiting for days. BLess.
i would recommend before you do another attempt at the two tone swirl , is to do a very small batch test with the yellow oxide color [ about a 1 pound batch , with whatever FO you plan to use ] and see if you getting the same color change happening .

MaitriBB did some of the yellow in your pick turn gray or is the where the yellow is the faintes and meeting the blue ?

Maitri, that soap is SOOOO cool!! My Steelers soap was supposed to be mostly black on one side and mostly yellow on the other side with a mild swirl in the middle. I have a vertical mold with a center insert that I lift out an give a 1/4 turn so that just a little swirl happens. I FINALLY got 1 batch to come out good although not quite the Steelers yellow still after 3 disasters I will take an off color. My Penn State colors were OK the blue turned out perfect in my first batch but I used Indigo Powder and in the second batch I used Aquamarine Blue Oxide so it was a lighter blue kinda like Cowboy's blue
No I mean like Kentucky Basketball team blue ( I know in a great forum like this there are no Cowboy's fans :eek:)

If these soaps sell well at my first show in 2 weeks I am almost afraid.... I will have to make more.... yep, color me scared. I have been having a lot of problems with my coloring. Luckily I have grown to like the color disaster of my last Steelers soap and decided to call it Antique Mahogany since it all is various shades of brown - yep whatever happened to the yellow and black that I used?? But this has grown on me so I guess it is not all bad. Next soap is going to be in the colors of my Washington Redskins and then the Baltimore Ravens colors

I used Balsam & Citrus Fragrance Oil from Elements Bath & Body, and my recipe called for 3.5 oz but I toned
it down to 3 oz for the whole loaf. I must have used to much of the Black Oxide but at the time I didn't think so.

Hey Maitri what did you use for your Raiders soap??? Huh tell me puleeeesssss, I have been a Raiders fan since my son
was born (36 years ago) he switched to Steelers but I am still Diehard Skins & Raiders. My "boy"friend is a (snicker) Browns Fan - I have to root for the Browns even though I know they won't win just so I can be supportive

Latest posts

Back