“Stainless” steel

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResolvableOwl

Notorious Lyear
Reaction score
S6403356_m0d.jpg

😒 I don't need rust. Not in my hummus, not in my pumpkin soup, not in my soap.

a quick buff with a scourer will remove that little bit of surface rust

the rust shape appears to indicate the bell was touching something - it would be worth checking your utensils to see if something else has the rust mark (it possibly could have been transferred TO the blender)

trivia: stainless will also rust if kept in contact with an acidic liquid

Thank you all. I know how to remove it, but I have concerns that it reappears (damaged surface). There are several grades of stainless steel, water-proof, salt-proof, acid-proof etc., and I suspect this is one of the lower grades.
I was just disappointed to see this happen to a device from a reputable manufacturer.

In fact, I have a lot experience with ruining stainless steel 🤣. The worst you can do to it (on a household scale) is extended contact with thiosulfate (the stuff that @Todd Ziegler puts into ZCS). I'm cleaning up everything like crazy after developing b/w films to avoid stains everywhere.
EDTA solution is deadly too, since it chelates metal ions, so the natural oxide protective film is weakened and naked metal surface exposed to water/air.

Latest posts

Back