“Spicy” Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My daughter-in-law’s Mother’s asked me if I made spicy soaps. She did not mean Christmas spices; just spicy. I have no idea how to proceed. I would love to make her something special for Christmas but am not quite sure what “spicy” means. Any fragrance suggestions would be most appreciated.

Hello from New England! I dissolve a few grams of menthol crystals in peppermint oil for my pumice foot scrub bars. People love that extra "zing." So maybe she's looking for that zinging-tingling sensation when referring to "spicy."

My daughter-in-law’s Mother’s asked me if I made spicy soaps. She did not mean Christmas spices; just spicy. I have no idea how to proceed. I would love to make her something special for Christmas but am not quite sure what “spicy” means. Any fragrance suggestions would be most appreciated.
I make this soap often; it's become one of my best sellers. It has a blend of ginger, cinnamon, clove, patchouli, and sweet orange essential oils. It's smells amazing and the coffee in it gives it a little bit of scrubbiness. I have one customer why buys these 5 at a time!

I used cassia and amber FO with some real cinnamon powder in one batch. It smells great! But I must caution you that a lot of people cannot tolerate cinnamon on their skin because it's too 'spicy' :)

The hot spiciness is of course a concern with soap, but there is another concern to be considered with cinnamon, particularly if used in other products besides soap. But in soap, too, it could be an issue. Some folks actually may have allergic reactions to cinnamon, as well.

Unless you buy Ceylon Cinnamon, most cinnamon powder sold as a spice is made with Cassia Cinnamon, which contains more coumarin than Ceylon Cinnamon. Coumarin can be absorbed through the skin and for some folks this is more problematic than for others. Now, I don't know if Courmarin survives exposure to lye, but if it does, it could be a problem.

But IF coumarin survives in lye soap, the amount absorbed with a wash-off product shouldn't be too great, still it is something to be aware of, especially if the EO used is also Cassia Cinnamon.

I just thought I'd put that caution out there in case anyone chooses to add a lot of cinnamon to their line-up of products.

Latest posts

Back