“popular” soap makers/brands

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjura

Reaction score
Hey there! Wondering who has used or has thoughts about these “popular” soap makers/brands. Some that I find interesting are Wouldn’t know em…soap co, Am Happy Soap, Bell Mountain Naturals, Binu Binu, Saipua, Nopalera, dook. They all have interesting stories, packaging, designs, branding or ingredients. Here are links for you to check them out.

Wouldn’t know em - natural ingredients, shares knowledge
Am Happy Soap - fun designs, shares knowledge
Bell Mountain Naturals - fun designs/packaging/ingredients
Binu Binu - specific ingredient focus/story/packaging/design - appeals to niche crowd
Saipua - story/price/packaging - appeals to a niche crowd
Nopalera - fun packaging/interesting ingredients/shape/story
dook - fun designs/packaging/specific ingredient focus

Let me know what your thoughts are and what are some brands you find interesting/inspiring whether for personal interest or business model? Or let me know if you don’t care about any of it and find all that silly!

Also, wondering how to delete a comment?! *not the one above, just in general!

Last edited:
Also, wondering how to delete a comment?! *not the one above, just in general!
You cannot delete a post, but you can edit a post and delete or revise portions of a post you have made. If you want it all deleted, what many people do is to edit out all the content & replace it with something like "deleted" and then save the edit. The only way to completely delete a post is to ask an admin to do it for you.

As for your question on the soapmakers you listed, I have not tried any of them.

I'm not familiar with any of these makers. They seem fine, a couple are kinda weird to me and seems like they are trying too hard.

I'm not really into the look at me saving the planet with my all natural soap, its a bit pretentious.
What seems weird? I’m interested! These are the types of responses I was looking forward to!

You cannot delete a post, but you can edit a post and delete or revise portions of a post you have made. If you want it all deleted, what many people do is to edit out all the content & replace it with something like "deleted" and then save the edit. The only way to completely delete a post is to ask an admin to do it for you.

As for your question on the soapmakers you listed, I have not tried any of them.
Are there any soapmakers you like that are a bit more well known? I think, honestly, I can’t try your soap but I’d love to find a soap we could talk about. (Unless there’s a way for me to buy some of yours!) I’m new to soapmaking and just would love to be able to discuss, compare and hear others thoughts.

I don't do InstaGram. And I've never heard of all of them.

Define 'well known'? Soy & Shea, Royalty Soaps, Royal Apple Berry Soap, La Fille de la Mer, Ellen Ruth Soap, Kapia Mera, I Dream in Soap, Missouri River Soap, Uncle Jon, Snail Tail Soapery, Tree Marie Soapworks, Future Primitive Soaps, Vibrant Soap, Soapy Oaks Farm, Luna Fae Creations, Ophelia's Soapery, Eve's Garden Soaps, Misty Springs Bath & Body.

This list in not inclusive because there are a lot of soap makers in this forum that I would be happy to purchase from.

What seems weird? I’m interested! These are the types of responses I was looking forward to!
I don't do InstaGram. And I've never heard of all of them.

Define 'well known'? Soy & Shea, Royalty Soaps, Royal Apple Berry Soap, La Fille de la Mer, Ellen Ruth Soap, Kapia Mera, I Dream in Soap, Missouri River Soap, Uncle Jon, Snail Tail Soapery, Tree Marie Soapworks, Future Primitive Soaps, Vibrant Soap, Soapy Oaks Farm, Luna Fae Creations, Ophelia's Soapery, Eve's Garden Soaps, Misty Springs Bath & Body.

This list in not inclusive because there are a lot of soap makers in this forum that I would be happy to purchase from.
I really want to learn how to make salt soap. My favorite is a bar from dook, one of the brands I mentioned earlier. Helen, the owner, is very nice. However, she’s in Scotland and it’s pretty cost prohibitive ordering from across the ocean! Do you have a favorite salt soap? I’d love to try it out and chat about it. Thanks in advance.

I'm not familiar with any of these makers. They seem fine, a couple are kinda weird to me and seems like they are trying too hard.

I'm not really into the look at me saving the planet with my all natural soap, its a bit pretentious.
Also wondering if you never use natural ingredients? I don’t think they’re being pretentious, it seems they may just have different values than you do. And for as hard as they’re trying they’re doing very well and making lots of money doing something they love.

I really want to learn how to make salt soap. My favorite is a bar from dook, one of the brands I mentioned earlier. Helen, the owner, is very nice. However, she’s in Scotland and it’s pretty cost prohibitive ordering from across the ocean! Do you have a favorite salt soap? I’d love to try it out and chat about it. Thanks in advance.
Obsidian has a good recipe for salt bars
(This recent thread has a few of our resident experts on salt bars chiming in - worth a look if you want to try making them yourself)
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/help-with-salt-bar-recipe.88427
Also wondering if you never use natural ingredients? I don’t think they’re being pretentious, it seems they may just have different values than you do. And for as hard as they’re trying they’re doing very well and making lots of money doing something they love.
😒

*edited to correct link

Last edited:
... they’re doing very well and making lots of money doing something they love.
Are you sure about the "making lots of money" part? Anyone can create appearances of prosperity through social media and advertising.

It seems you made quite an assumption about Obsidian's choice of ingredients, simply because she expressed an opinion about the advertising angles that your favorite soap makers promulgate. Every one of those soapmakers you listed is using at least one ingredient (coconut oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, etc.) that was harvested in another country, and then shipped to them using transportation that causes carbon emissions, and packaging that creates waste. All of them are using lye that was created in a lab, and then shipped to them using transportation that causes carbon emissions, and packaging that creates waste.

I can't speak for Obsidian, but those facts are why I internally roll my eyes at the "green" advertising schtick. It's only green if you close your eyes to everything that happened before the ingredients arrived at their doors, and everything that happened to all the packaging in which it arrived, and everything that it takes to deliver the soap to the end user.

My question about obsidian using natural ingredients was sort of an inverse question meaning, I’m sure obsidian uses some natural ingredients as well. Some people work exclusively with the most natural ingredients they can find and for others it’s not a priority. Sorry if it came across as something different to you.

Of course there will be some elements in the process of making and selling that can’t be all “natural” but if we focus on these then nothing is natural.

Their branding is for their target market and if that’s not you then that’s ok. I suppose maybe I’m their target market and that’s ok too. When choosing soap (specifically soap, let’s not take a detour into everything else I buy or use) I look at the ingredients. Seeing that a maker chooses to be as environmentally responsible as they can is something I like. I wouldn’t buy soap that uses “fragrance”. I like essential oils. It’s all just matter of preference. And we all know no one is perfect or can put out a product that is perfect for everyone.

My current definition of lots of money is enough to support yourself and the growth of your business (and I do not have lots of money lol). You’re right. I don’t know each of these soapmakers personally and I was making assumptions based upon instagram follower count. I would hope they’re all doing well. From what I can tell, soapmaking is each person’s primary source of income.

(This recent thread has a few of our resident experts on salt bars chiming in - worth a look if you want to try making them yourself)
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/help-with-salt-bar-recipe.88427PS.

😒
Thanks so much for the link! I hope I’ll be diving into making my first batch in the next couple of weeks. I’ll test out different recipes from there! It’s not always easy finding exactly what you need when searching so I definitely appreciate the assistance!

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/help-with-salt-bar-recipe.88427PS.

😒
Hey Marsi, I click on the link and it says page not found. I’ll do a search for that particular thread though. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Are there any soapmakers you like that are a bit more well known? I think, honestly, I can’t try your soap but I’d love to find a soap we could talk about. (Unless there’s a way for me to buy some of yours!) I’m new to soapmaking
I'm just not into odd shaped soap. They might be pretty but they can be difficult to handle, especially when wet & slippery.

I have issues with the term natural. It means different things to different people and I feel many companies use it as a buzz word for selling.
It rubs me the wrong way when a company implies they are better/more ethical because they are "natural".

I haven't actually bought any soaps from well known makers but I do want to buy some from La Fille de la Mer to try. Especially her sea buckthorn and the one made with local sea water.

@Obsidian I’ve read that triangle shaped soap is easy to handle. I have some but haven’t used it yet. I’ve been trying soaps from different makers to see what ingredients I might like for the end product. I’m especially interested in trying to replicate dook’s salt soap. I just love it. She uses only shea and coconut. What are your thoughts on this? *I’ve heard your salt soap is 😘
Also, this
Help with Salt Bar recipe

@Obsidian I’ve read that triangle shaped soap is easy to handle. I have some but haven’t used it yet. I’ve been trying soaps from different makers to see what ingredients I might like for the end product. I’m especially interested in trying to replicate dook’s salt soap. I just love it. She uses only shea and coconut. What are your thoughts on this? *I’ve heard your salt soap is 😘
Also, this
Help with Salt Bar recipe

I've tried shea in a salt bar before and didn't like how it reduced the lather so I'm at a loss for this one.
Maybe she uses a small amount of salt. Can you post pictures of the salt bar or a link to it?

Thanks. They are nice looking soaps. I do like the minimalist look.

They only thing I can guess at is there isn't much shea. I tried it at 20% in a salt bar and the lather was thin without many bubbles. Maybe 10% would still allow for a nice thick lather.
Yeah. I was thinking 10%. Her lather isn’t big bubbles but it’s thick and creamy. My skin feels incredible after using it. Why do you think she added glycerin? Just to soften it a bit? Also, how long does your salt soap last compared to a regular bar?

🤔 Looking at the ingredients list, if she is using 50% of the oil weight for the salt, and the shea butter is listed ahead of that, wouldn't that mean she would have to be using at least 50% of the oils for the shea and 50% for the coconut? Am I thinking about that wrong? That aside, I agree with Obsidian - I tried making salt bars with butter and didn't like it. I will try to remember to see if I still have the amount I used, but I know it wouldn't have been more than 20%.

I doubt she added glycerin. She is listing her ingredients as the saponified oils, or out-of-the-pot rather than what goes in the pot. Glycerin is a by product that is naturally occurring during the saponification process, and is included because it is in the end product. Notice sodium hydroxide is not included in the list - it isn't in the end product, but would have to be included if the ingredients are listed by what goes in the pot when the soap is made instead.

🤔 Looking at the ingredients list, if she is using 50% of the oil weight for the salt, and the shea butter is listed ahead of that, wouldn't that mean she would have to be using at least 50% of the oils for the shea and 50% for the coconut? Am I thinking about that wrong?
Thats assuming she listed the ingredients properly.
It's also possible she did 50/50 coconut/shea but I can't imagine that would he nice. Maybe if it was made with duel lye?

@fjura my salt bars last longer than my regular bars but I'm the only one using them

🤔 Looking at the ingredients list, if she is using 50% of the oil weight for the salt, and the shea butter is listed ahead of that, wouldn't that mean she would have to be using at least 50% of the oils for the shea and 50% for the coconut? Am I thinking about that wrong? That aside, I agree with Obsidian - I tried making salt bars with butter and didn't like it. I will try to remember to see if I still have the amount I used, but I know it wouldn't have been more than 20%.

I doubt she added glycerin. She is listing her ingredients as the saponified oils, or out-of-the-pot rather than what goes in the pot. Glycerin is a by product that is naturally occurring during the saponification process, and is included because it is in the end product. Notice sodium hydroxide is not included in the list - it isn't in the end product, but would have to be included if the ingredients are listed by what goes in the pot when the soap is made instead.
I was thinking the same about the glycerin but am so very new to all this I didn’t want to assume.

I understand what you’re saying about the order of the ingredients and what that would imply regarding the percentages of each. I see this written in the description of her soaps on various websites that sell her products but nowhere on her own website. “Dook salt soaps are unique in that 50% of their weight is made up of Himalayan pink salt.” Not sure what to make of that!

Thats assuming she listed the ingredients properly.
It's also possible she did 50/50 coconut/shea but I can't imagine that would he nice. Maybe if it was made with duel lye?

@fjura my salt bars last longer than my regular bars but I'm the only one using them
And I’m the only one using her bar but it definitely doesn’t last very long. Unless I’m enjoying so much that I’m taking way more showers and baths lol! Looking forward to digging in to this process! Seems I’ve got more than one kind of challenge on my hands!

Btw, any salt soap specific tips would be much appreciated! I want to make as few bad batches as possible!

Btw, any salt soap specific tips would be much appreciated! I want to make as few bad batches as possible!

Find a simple recipe and make a small batch. Don't try it until its at least 3 months old.

Use individual molds so you don't have to cut, they can be real tricky to time and if you wait too long, they will crumble.

I know pink salt is pretty but I recommend against it. It can be sharp and has cut people before, myself included. Regular sea salt works great.

Plan on a one color soap for the first batch. Salt bars can trace really fast. I add scent/color before adding the lye. As soon as you get trace, hand stir in the salt. Only stick blend it again if its not thick enough to suspend the salt.
I personally never have issues with fast trace but many do.

Latest posts

Back