“Money soap” experiment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fendigirl

Reaction score
Hope everyone is doing well. Since my area is in Covid Stay At Home order, I’ve been spending more time making soap.
Thought I would try to make some CP soap with money inside, for my grandsons ( 12 and 14 year olds)
I am fairly new to soap making but like to try new things.
I wrapped the $20 bills in plastic wrap, sprayed the plastic
wrapped bills with alcohol ( thought that might help the batter not sticking), poured 1/2 the batter in my mold, put the wrapped money on the first layer, then poured the rest. I put the soap
into the freezer for a few hours then in the fridge overnight.
Now I’m wondering if the lye will eat away the plastic wrap? This might have been a bad idea😂
I haven’t cut the soap yet. Any suggestions of how to insert bills?( for my next attempt) What can I wrap them with? Will this only work with melt and pour soap? Thanks for any advice.

l

The lye shouldn't eat through the plastic wrap. A lot of soapers (including myself) use plastic wrap as piping bags. I let mine sit a few days so I can clean the wrap and reuse it. Never had the setting soap eat through the plastic wrap, so you should be fine.

I have not done this before, but agree that plastic will remain intact inside the soap. Many plastic soap embed toys are available and I have never heard of them deteriorating.

I keep soap dough in plastic, and it did not deteriorate during the saponification process, nor thereafter, so I am confident your soaps are safe.

The only precaution I would give to the parents is that a certain size of plastic wrap may end up going down the drain when the soap gets small enough and they should watch for that so it doesn't clog up the plumbing.

This very day, my husband found a long skinny bit of paper towel clogging our washing machine filter, which had caused the machine not to drain properly. I am actually glad it got caught by the filter and didn't get caught in the plumbing pipes, making us have to call a plumber out. So stuff happens & we must remain vigilant when it comes to plumbing.

The only precaution I would give to the parents is that a certain size of plastic wrap may end up going down the drain when the soap gets small enough and they should watch for that so it doesn't clog up the plumbing.
I don't think I would have ever thought about this! Thanks once again earlene.

I would get some small plastic jars or tubes, that can be sealed to embed in the soap. We used to buy the small plastic containers that you would get little toys in from gum machines and my daughter would put necklaces and other little surprises in the containers to embed in children's soaps. These we put in m&p so they could see there was a prize but cp works also. This will keep the money dry. It is a bummer I threw out a whole bag of the containers. :(

Back