“Mel” in soap? Any German speakers here?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, so I’m American but this week I’ve been vacationing in Bavaria (highly recommend, btw!). Of course I had to buy some soaps to try, but unfortunately only one came with an ingredient list. It’s called “honig-milch seife” - ok, honey and milk soap. One of the ingredients is “mel” which Google translate says also means honey. What’s the difference?

Hi all, so I’m American but this week I’ve been vacationing in Bavaria (highly recommend, btw!). Of course I had to buy some soaps to try, but unfortunately only one came with an ingredient list. It’s called “honig-milch seife” - ok, honey and milk soap. One of the ingredients is “mel” which Google translate says also means honey. What’s the difference?
What's the entire ingredient list, if you don't mind my asking?

Are there other languages listed for ingredients? I am guessing that the "mie" might be a typo of the French word for honey (Miel). Because Germany shares a border with France, one will often find ingredients listed in multiple languages. Spent 5 years in Heidelberg and German labels were always an adventure! Added: if you are a meat eater do not miss the Nurnberger Rostbratwurst if you can find it in the area. Also the German gift shops often have the cutest little jars with pigs on top. Kitchen use is for lard drippings. Enjoy Germany!!!

Back