“Gardeners Soap”

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I feel like i have been waiting forever on deliveries from suppliers. I ran out of CO and i was at the supermarket who had a good sale, so i bought a few bogo containers.

In the meantime as luck would have it, the tub of CO i ordered also came, so now i have A LOT lol.

I tried a few different things with this recipe. Firstly, i made it 100% coconut oil with 20% superfat. I also used coffee instead of water...ok, that lye mixture smelled like the oil in the pan after you fried fish lol. I also used the coffee grinds for scrubbies. Lastly i did my first hanger swirl. Oh, and scented with coconut fo, TD on one layer, charcoal and brown dioxide in the others. Its darker than expected cause i apparently didnt get all the way to the bottom with the hanger.

I personally was thrilled with it, mainly because its my first hanger swirl. I showed a picture to my friend and he said it was the ugliest soap he ever saw lol. I hung up on him lol.

Tell me what you think. I promise not to hang up on you lol

Attachments

• 6F594E42-0A27-4FBE-9399-B8C77D712B79.jpeg
    6F594E42-0A27-4FBE-9399-B8C77D712B79.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 89
I feel like i have been waiting forever on deliveries from suppliers. I ran out of CO and i was at the supermarket who had a good sale, so i bought a few bogo containers.

In the meantime as luck would have it, the tub of CO i ordered also came, so now i have A LOT lol.

I tried a few different things with this recipe. Firstly, i made it 100% coconut oil with 20% superfat. I also used coffee instead of water...ok, that lye mixture smelled like the oil in the pan after you fried fish lol. I also used the coffee grinds for scrubbies. Lastly i did my first hanger swirl. Oh, and scented with coconut fo, TD on one layer, charcoal and brown dioxide in the others. Its darker than expected cause i apparently didnt get all the way to the bottom with the hanger.

I personally was thrilled with it, mainly because its my first hanger swirl. I showed a picture to my friend and he said it was the ugliest soap he ever saw lol. I hung up on him lol.

Absolutely beautiful! I love the rich colors!!

Did you scent them?

They turned out very nice. Great job with the swirl. Let us know if the Coconut FO sticks. I've not had much luck. I've tried a few times.
Well its only been a few days, but its pretty faded...the fragrance. It still smells nice. I cut them in half to make i nice little hand held bar of soap for scrubbing at the sink.

Well, i said something “similar” before i hung up on him lol.

The cut-in-half mini bars

They are super hard. I have since polished then up with a microfiber cloth

Attachments

• F5F034A7-1406-4673-B5FC-870B1956720F.jpeg
    F5F034A7-1406-4673-B5FC-870B1956720F.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 071D73F3-A550-459B-8558-EF8FA8FD1CEF.jpeg
    071D73F3-A550-459B-8558-EF8FA8FD1CEF.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 44
I have no clue im new at this. I just know they are harder than other bars that i have made. They are 100% coconut oil. I didnt even add sodium lactate.

cured covered in the bedroom. Its a little warm in there.

I unmolded around 12 hours. Cut the bars the next day and then the next day i cut them in half and beveled.

if you can make sense out of it, these are my notes lol.

i ran it through soapcalc

Attachments

• 8F84CA39-49AB-455A-B9CB-5016BFB9485A.jpeg
    8F84CA39-49AB-455A-B9CB-5016BFB9485A.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 43
Nice looking! Your friend just doesn't know what a hanger swirl should be! You cut your soap like I do....a few slices here, some cubes there, oh here's a little leftover lump...

Nice looking! Your friend just doesn't know what a hanger swirl should be! You cut your soap like I do....a few slices here, some cubes there, oh here's a little leftover lump...
oh, you should see the spare bedroom in the garage. I have a ton of curly cues from practicing beveling. Shards and slabs everywhere lol. Little chunks and cubes. I hate to think i am wasting anything.

I just got my cheese cutter, so that made my soap cutting a heck of a lot more even. I think its going to cut down on my extra pieces lol. The soap was sliding around, which also made them uneven. I just glued a piece of a flat skewer at the 1” mark i made. Hopefully that will help with the slide.

I save ALL my scraps and reuse in confetti soap. Am I the only one who refuses to throw a single shard away?

Pink, blue and white is made with Stormwatch, unappealing grey is Patchouli, Green is Moroccan Mint, 3 different ones are lavender combos (vanilla, frankincense, mint); Orange/Beige/White is Passionfruit Nectarine; the one that looks like coconut cake is Nag Champa (fresh cut...it's MUCH darker now); pink & black is Midnight Jasmine (now THAT's a fragrance that sticks! Probably a year now and still going strong).

I even have soaps that are confetti within confetti! (the grey one is Sandalwood Amber, with confetti from my alien brain lard soap; then the light peach one is Amber Romance with confetti from the grey one!)

I try to match the scents of the confetti and the new soap, but to be honest, the confetti scents have often faded so much that I don't need to worry.

Attachments

• Stormwatch.png
    Stormwatch.png
    520 KB · Views: 30
  • Patchouli loaf.png
    Patchouli loaf.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • Moroccan Mint.png
    Moroccan Mint.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 3 lavenders.png
    3 lavenders.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • Passionfruit Nectarine.jpg.png
    Passionfruit Nectarine.jpg.png
    756 KB · Views: 26
  • nag champa--fresh cut.jpg.png
    nag champa--fresh cut.jpg.png
    996.5 KB · Views: 26
  • sandalwood amber.png
    sandalwood amber.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 2nd confetti.jpg.png
    2nd confetti.jpg.png
    734.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Jasmine Confetti Soap.jpg.png
    Jasmine Confetti Soap.jpg.png
    486 KB · Views: 20
Those are very pretty.

I was wondering about the scents mixed with different soaps. I always scrape the last bit of batter into my embeds. So far i have a bunch of little piles of embeds of varying smells. Are they ok to put them all together

I love nag champa incense. Do you have a good fo?

I've got the one from New Directions Aromatics and it seems good. Strong, long lasting and accurate to my nose. But I am no connoisseur. ;)

Back