“Emulsified” body scrub formulation STABILITY FAIL - Help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohsandraaa

Reaction score
Hi guys! I am new to this site and I found the threads very useful to me for gaining more knowledge. I am from Indonesia and I am planning to start my small business of body scrubs. I have been formulating for about three months now but I cannot seem to get the right formulation that is FIT for my country. Meaning to say it’s very hot here and my scrubs are not so stable as I expected them to be.
- I have done stability tests by professionals and the results were all failed because they can’t stand 40°c heat.
- I have also conducted my own shipping and handling test where I shipped my products to a friend to see how the products would look once they arrive to my future customers. Some of the scrubs melted (or should I say oil got separated from the sugar). I don’t know what’s wrong with my formulation but if you are knowledgeable about EMULSIFIED SUGAR SCRUBS, I hope you can help me out here.

This is my formulation by theway:
50% sugar
22.5% oils (avocado, sweet almond, jojoba)
5% shea butter
5% matcha powder
1% essential oil blend
.5% vitamin e
.5% phenoxyethanol
5.5% emulsifying wax
3.25% cetearyl alcohol
10.2% stearic acid
.5% xanthan gum

- The mixture hardened (4/5 hardness) but still workable because of the stearic, I believe. I just want to have a fluffy emulsified scrub without having them melt with the handling (hot delivery facilities and handling of delivery men). Hope you can help me out with this! If you can provide a foolproof method or formulation that can be used as a guide to get a fluffy/soft STABLE scrub (without actually with them) that could stand the heat in this country. Thanks very much!

I make and sell a lot of emulsified surgery scrubs. This topic comes up quite a bit here. I don’t ship my scrubs during hot weather. Period. I keep testers out at shows and keep my stock in a cooler during the summer. I love my recipe and won’t change it. It would have to be too firm to be heat stable in hot weather. I checked out a lot of different recipes before tweaking several to my liking. Mine does have. A bit of Beeswax in it, emulsifying wax and stearic acid.

I make and sell a lot of emulsified surgery scrubs. This topic comes up quite a bit here. I don’t ship my scrubs during hot weather. Period. I keep testers out at shows and keep my stock in a cooler during the summer. I love my recipe and won’t change it. It would have to be too firm to be heat stable in hot weather. I checked out a lot of different recipes before tweaking several to my liking. Mine does have. A bit of Beeswax in it, emulsifying wax and stearic acid.

I see. How many percent of beeswax, ewax and stearic did you add? Did yours scrub end up soft and fluffy? Because mine ended up hard in room temperature.

I see. How many percent of beeswax, ewax and stearic did you add? Did yours scrub end up soft and fluffy? Because mine ended up hard in room temperature.
I don’t currently have access to my recipes. Sadly, I’ve had to move anything scented out of my house due to lung issues so I moved everything. Mime isn’t soft and fluffy. I want some substance to it. It’s scoops fairly easy but is firmer. I have whipped it bit didn’t care for it as much. It’s a personal choice

I guess you should increase hard oils in summer like shea butter or coco butter and decrease liquid oils. Try and let us know how it works.

I guess you should increase hard oils in summer like shea butter or coco butter and decrease liquid oils. Try and let us know how it works.
This member hasn't been here in 7 months, so you probably won't get a reply about how it worked for them.

Latest posts

Back