Cleaning Equipment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afiveo

Reaction score
I have just made my first batch of cold pressed soap, which was very successful. Immediately following, I rinsed off all of my implements with a garden hose, but didn't really clean them all that "thoroughly". There was still some bits of soap left in the pot and on some tools. The lye-water solution bowl was rinsed out really well, but not scrubbed.

SO: Can't I technically wait until my bars have finished curing to clean my equipment bare handed without worrying about getting burned by the lye? It makes sense, right? Could any residue on the Lye-water bowl still burn me after 4 weeks?

Thank you for your imput!! :D

Here's what I do: let my soapy stick blender attachment and soap pot dry overnight. The next morning, once the soap in them has hardened, I fill the pot up with warm water and let everything sit. By the end of the day, all the soap and residue washes out easily.

The soap will not burn you the following day, given that it isn't lye heavy to begin with.

afiveo said:
I have just made my first batch of cold pressed soap, which was very successful. Immediately following, I rinsed off all of my implements with a garden hose, but didn't really clean them all that "thoroughly". There was still some bits of soap left in the pot and on some tools. The lye-water solution bowl was rinsed out really well, but not scrubbed.

SO: Can't I technically wait until my bars have finished curing to clean my equipment bare handed without worrying about getting burned by the lye? It makes sense, right? Could any residue on the Lye-water bowl still burn me after 4 weeks?

i clean everything, with gloves on right away, as im using my kitchen.

honor435 said:
afiveo said:

i clean everything, with gloves on right away, as im using my kitchen.

gosh, I wish I could have, but I underestimated how long the process would be. I was having so much fun I lost track of time and was almost late for something :!:

I let the tools sit to turn to soap, like put everything in a bag so it doesn't touch anything. Kitchen surfaces, however, get cleaned right away.

I keep a small pitcher of water about half filled in the sink, when I'm finished with the SB I just dunk it in that and whiz it for few seconds, then let it sit while I pour and finish up. Then it's just a matter of unplugging, rinsing and wiping the blender off with a towel. Ready to go for the next batch or to be put away.

I soap in 3 gallon buckets, as soon as I'm done with the pouring and what not I fill the bucket with warm water and a shot of Dawn. I toss all the spatulas, measures and whatever I used in the bucket. After about 10 minutes I just dump the bucket, rinse my tools and dry them off. If there is a little soap residue on the sides I use a Pampered Chef scrapper thingy to clear it away. I have my gloves on anyway, so I'm not too worried about the lye. Considering the amount of water in proportion to the lye I think I would be safe anyway.

I have a sink full of hot water with just a little washing up liquid, just ready to put my soaping stuff into as I finish using each thing, in it goes give a quick wash and then into the dishwasher no smells, just clean sopaing stuff, ready for next time! :lol:

well I cleaned my working services right away, of course.
what my REAL concern is I suppose, is cleaning the tools in the same sink as my baby bottles. I like the idea of letting almost everything sit and cure with the soap and cleaning only some things right away.

you all have such wonderful ideas and things to add, by the way!
Much love!

I keep a 5 gallon bucket that's half full of water on the floor next to the sink I soap at. As I'm done with stuff, it goes into the bucket, then everything gets cleaned after I'm done. I can't stand to leave stuff sit overnight, makes me crazy, but that would be so much easier if I could make myself leave it.

It's kinda nice, though, to have everything cleaned and ready to go again so quickly. Since I've started soaping at RT and not messing with thermometers, it's allowed me to do the cleanup in stages. Everything that was used to measure things out and melt the oils is cleaned while the oils and lye solution cool, keeps my cleaning impulses satisfied. :lol:

Latest posts

Back