Soap shrinkage?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
absolutely, with CP itll shrink prob 5 or so percent... maybe more... this is because it is evaporating much of the water content of the soap (and concentrating at the same time)... this is why cure is important, it also helps the bar last longer in the shower

My CPHP soaps shrink a whole heck of a lot, my CP soaps don't shrink much but I take a huge water discount with those.

Ian and jcandleattic, about how much volume do your soaps tend to lose once they reach full cure? More/less than an inch on each side?

Not sure. I'm not much of a visual person and since I have different recipes for different applications, I do everything by weight.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

jcandleattic said:
Not sure. I'm not much of a visual person and since I have different recipes for different applications, I do everything by weight.

OK... but the 3 oz loss is from how many ounces cut?

Danielito said:
jcandleattic said:

5.5 - 6oz bars. But these are only with soaps that I use full water on. My water discount bars don't shrink as much even though they do shrink.

jcandleattic said:
Danielito said:
jcandleattic said:

5.5 - 6oz bars. But these are only with soaps that I use full water on. My water discount bars don't shrink as much even though they do shrink.
you mean your bars shrink 50% or more??? wow. even with "full water" which is typically 27% (ish) I've not lost anywhere near that much of the size or weight. Heck, using the default amount of water, even if you managed to lose it all (unlikely) you couldn't possibly lose that much.

Say you make a pound of 100% Olive Oil castile. Te default amount of water is 172 grams to 454 grams of oil. That mean what you pour is about 27.5% water. So how can you lose 50%+?

What am I misunderstanding here?

Latest posts

Back