My first batches

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flutter

Reaction score
So I am new to soap making; I have done other bath and body stuff for a few months now and wanted to try soap. I have done 2 batches over the last week (my first) ... 2 hot process (crock pot) and 1 cold process.

My first HP one didn't do at all what the recipe showed, so I through it out. The second attempt at the HP one seemed to work; it did everything as it showed in the recipe. However, it was thick and the soap doesn't look pretty (could be maybe HP is better in loaf or cylinder molds?) and it just smells like soap. It was supposed to be oatmeal and honey with lavender essential oil, but no scent came through at all. Also, it still hasn't hardened all the way; it is firm, but I can break it with my bare hands.

I'm not sure if I did something wrong, or if it just needs more time to harden more and maybe next time just add more essential oils.

Next I tried another CP recipe and that went well and so far it still has a hint of the lavender smell, but it is still too soft to pop out of the molds. I guess I still need to wait on that one to see if it is going to be good or not.

Anyone have any tips for a beginner? Thanks in advance :mrgreen:

Last edited:
OK, this was the recipe I used for the HP crock pot soap ...

https://thenerdyfarmwife.com/hot-process-oatmeal-honey-soap-crock-pot-method/

This is mine ...

2ikz01w.jpg

kbawxi.jpg

Then I unmolded my CP today ... it is still a little soft though ...

2qv9h1g.jpg

This is the recipe I used for the CP one ... I did the "Healing Skin Bar" here and used green tea and then added lavender essential oil at trace.
https://thenerdyfarmwife.com/how-to-create-custom-soaps-from-a-single-recipe/

I need to get a loaf mold and/or maybe one of those cylinder ones. Then maybe my soaps can be smoother/prettier looking.

Flutter, I can't speak to the HP recipes as I've never done HP before. I looked at your recipe for the CP soap, and I'm wondering just a few things....did you run this recipe through a lye calculator, and did you measure all the ingredients by weight with a scale? Or by volume with a measuring cup? It's very important to use a scale to weigh your ingredients as that's how soap recipes work. It looks like you could have left it in the mold a little longer.....if the soap is hard enough to remove but you find it difficult, throw it in the freezer for a bit and they'll pop right out. I think your soap will be soap, and it might even surprise you after it cures for 4-8 weeks, but there are much better recipes out there....yours has a lot of softer oils in it, and that much coconut oil can be a little harsh. I love coconut oil in soap as it creates nice bubbles (and add castor oil at 5-10% to support those bubbles), but generally you may find that under 20% is enough to give you bubbles without stripping the oils on your skin.

I would keep things very simple as you're starting out. Maybe just water for your lye mixture and a couple of basic oils until you begin to know the effect of different ingredients at different rates and how they work best for you. Everyone's idea of the perfect soap is different, and please don't get discouraged on your journey! Keep asking questions.....we'll keep answering......and read, read, read, as many threads on here as you can. There's sooooo much good information!

I did use the lye calculator.

I guess we will see how it comes out in a few weeks then. I just hate to wait ... that was why I liked the idea of HP, but it is not as smooth - I will try again one day with a better mold.

I may have to get some better oils then. I didn't even realize people used olive oil in soap. I keep coconut oil and rice bran oil and sometimes almond for my other bath and beauty stuff, so wanted to use that.

I will keep trying. I am glad I found this forum :)

I don't really have anything to add, but making your first soap is exciting, so congratulations. :)

Latest posts

Back