I found it! Making MP from CP or HP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana89

Reaction score
Ok, we talked about this for a minute on the IS MELT N POUR CHEATING THREAD. Someone asked why bother making your own MP. I Replied that I wanted to make it with soap scraps but I could only find the video about rebatching with the MP method.
So here is the video I was talking about, she uses only Glycerin and I think if I added suger water it would lather better.
Also I am Assuming she is melting in the microwave, I have so much soap I wonder if it would melt as well in the crockpot.
Has anyone tried this? Watch the vid and let me know what you guys think. Since I am not worried about it being clear I think 50% would give a harder bar with better lather than 75 or 100%.

https://youtu.be/VZ4jQJUAxCwhttps://youtu.be/VZ4jQJUAxCw

Its interesting, not sure if that would be considered true M&P or just a type of transparent soap. I wonder how many times it can be remelted.
I went ahead and tried a tiny 100% glycerin batch, using scraps with even a tiny bit of color didn't work so well. I ended up with a nasty brown sludge that isn't in anyway transparent and smells awful. I think if you really want to make glycerin soap like this, you would want to make a batch of HP just for it.

I rebatch my scraps into some type of brown soap, usually with a FO that discolors really dark like vanilla or chocolate. I use beer for the liquid and sometimes add coffee grounds for a scrubby soap.

It looks like she started out with a white-ish soap, so it probably colored better because of that... It also looks like she's soaping very hot. I can see the steam when she pours. From my experience with MP, that doesn't make for a good soap- rubbery, no lather, and don't last at all.
I think it's good info, and a starting point for some experiments.

I read posts on the Dish from a woman who rebatched soaps she wasnt happy with into M&P. It made sense because making your own M&P starts with a basic soap recipe. She chunked up her fresh soap she didnt care for into the crockpot and followed the basic M&P recipes that you see using vegetable glycerin, propylene glycol and sugar water (I think she actually winged the quantities until it "looked right". The ones she did looked pretty good as long as the colors didnt go too muddy.

The bar I made is extremely rubbery and flexible. It lathers similar to castile, thin with tiny bubbles and slightly slimy. I wouldn't waste my glycerin trying this again. I'd rather get a bottle of everclear and make regular transparent soap.

Using glycerin as the only solvent in transparent is not a wise choice. It will eventually melt down into a puddle of sludge. Kevin Dunn with two others did some testing on solvents. I just had to try it using only glycerin, the soap was rubbery, amber colored and started melting within a week. This article is worth reading, at least in my opinion http://blogs.hsc.edu/sciencejournal/files/2013/03/Saxton_Soap.pdf

Last edited:
I use glycerin, sugar water (50/50 by mass sugar to water), and propelyene glycol. I re-batch my soap scraps like this and pour it into molds when its melted. That soap often goes to local shelters in my area. I do have to make sure the recipes happen to be high in hard oils. Mostly soft oil recipes will give you "goop" or rubbery bars. I have my ratios per oz of finished soap. I'll have to go get the file with them and post it here. Its not transparent.

I find it makes a good, relatively hard bar. Its only like 0.12 oz of glycerin per oz of soap though. I think its heavier on the PG.

I also read that article above a while ago. Its pretty great!!

Well after reading about the experiments I think I will try rebatching using the transparent soap method, with glycerin, alcahol and sugar water.
I have soooo many scraps and really need a way to rebatch other than the standard way because I have never made a decent rebatch.

I think that I will try the glycerin, sugar water and PG rebatch. I have some scraps that I need to use up.

ETA: I just tried this with 33% propylene glycol, 33% glycerin and 33% 1/1 sugar water. I also added a little stearic acid to make a hard bar and a little surfactant mixture for lather. I am pleased with the results. It is a great way to use up those soap scraps. I wouldn't sell the finished product as it is comglomeration of all leftover soap scraps.

My ratios are:

for 1 oz of soap (CP/HP)

0.36 oz propelene glycol
0.12 oz glycerin
0.24 oz of sugar water (50/50 by weight)

You will want to play with the PG levels for your individual recipe. This works well for my 60% lard recipe and 40/15 palm/shea recipe. When I start including castile soap in there its a major problem and it gets soft. If you want to do this with reliability, separate your scraps by "mostly hard" (ie stearic and palmatic) soap and "mostly soft" recipes. I also find that using light corn syrup works very well as a replacement for the sugar water.

Last edited:
Thanks Galaxy! I am going to try this as soon as I make my next order. I need some PG.

Latest posts

Back