"Burned" my coconut water what was I thinking?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xraygrl

Reaction score
So it's been forever since I've used coconut milk in my soap. I have had this soap in my head for weeks now....A coconut scented soap made with half coconut water and half coconut milk as the liquid.

The coconut water did not have any sugar listed in it. It was cold from the refrigerator. I added the lye to the coconut water and it turned burnt orange. :sick: I couldn't smell it because I was wearing a respirator, but I'm sure it smelled putrid LOL! I didn't think the coconut water would do that, but I was so so wrong. Next time I will freeze it first. :p

At any rate, I stick blended the coconut milk in with the oils, and added the coconut water lye solution and proceeded with the cook (I'm doing cphp). It's cooking away as I type. The color is darker than I would have liked but oh well. Lesson learned. I'm sure it will still be a lovely soap to use.

I used half coconut water, and half coconut milk for the liquid. The coconut milk was stick blended into the oils. I should've froze the coconut water, but I was not thinking. :oops:

Anyway, the FO will probably discolor the soap anyway so no big deal.

Sometimes lye water can discolor the soap, depending on the additives, but then the soap itself comes out just fine. Happens to me on occasion.
Even FO's can turn the batter dark, but the finished soap is not discolored. Don't freak until the soap is finished :)

It did darken the soap base a tad, but with the discoloring due to the coconut fo it's all mute anyway. ;) Love the lather from it though.

last time i used coconut water (cold) it also got burnt to bright orange. didn't affect the color of the soap much at all. i was pretty surprised and a bit worried at first though :D

My 100 percent coconut water, no additives, turns bright orange in the lye water as well every time, but it soaps up fine. I read here that that will happen so I went ahead and tried it. Always trust your helpful forumites! The "burned" effect was probably from the sugar in the coconut milk, although I can't speak to that with any conviction.
Wish I could find a coconut scent that sticks, though...

My 100 percent coconut water, no additives, turns bright orange in the lye water as well every time, but it soaps up fine. I read here that that will happen so I went ahead and tried it. Always trust your helpful forumites! The "burned" effect was probably from the sugar in the coconut milk, although I can't speak to that with any conviction.
Wish I could find a coconut scent that sticks, though...

I think beachy was on the hunt for a good coconut scent if he doesn't chime in maybe shoot him a pm and see if he found anything.

Thanks everyone for the replies. The soap base was only slightly darker than it would've been without the coconut water/coconut milk. I was in such a panic, and really I don't know why as I was using a discoloring fo :p

This coconut FO came from The Scent Shack. I did it hp hoping that it would not fade away on me. We shall see.

I also used coconut water to make my lye solution. I panicked also when I saw the orange colour, but made the soap anyway. It came out fine too. I too would like to find a coconut fragrance that will last in the soap.

I love the Coconut FO from soapsupplies.net which sticks well in soap. The problem being it really has to be hp soap, which I seldom make, due to severe overheating. Putting it in the freezer, chilling all oils, liquids and even chilling the mold does not stop the naughty fo from overheating. It will overheat the during the 5 steps to get it to the freezer after all the above precautions.

Hello everyone!! I've been lingering and learning for awhile now and today is my first reply...

cmzaha.....Hello there! I was wondering about the Soapsupplies.net Coconut FO. You're saying that it should really be in HP? I already have some of the FO (smells GREAT) but was going to add it to my CP because I was thinking it would be ok....have you tried it in CP and it didn't make it through or last very long?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back