Great Grandma's "Turpentine" Soap.....stain stick

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting recipe I'll have to give it a try. I make a stain stick with a different recipe and it works great. Can't wait to try this one.

doolittle said:
Interesting recipe I'll have to give it a try. I make a stain stick with a different recipe and it works great. Can't wait to try this one.

I like it.....seems to really cut through stuff well. If you have something REALLY greasy, just treat and let set overnight. :)

I also find this interesting. Thank you for the reformulation and sharing it!! :D

Have you found this to be color safe and effective in cold water?

Digit

digit said:
I also find this interesting. Thank you for the reformulation and sharing it!! :D

Have you found this to be color safe and effective in cold water?

Digit

I've used it on my dark colored clothes and haven't noticed any fading or spotting.

I've used it on stuff I put through a cold water wash and it worked fine, but I have temperature controlled cold on my machine....basically it has a sensor to keep the water temp at 70 degrees F or above. I haven't tried it with tap cold.

MikeInPdx said:
I've used it on my dark colored clothes and haven't noticed any fading or spotting.

I've used it on stuff I put through a cold water wash and it worked fine,

Thanks Mike. I think I will give this a try soon. :D

Digit

Mike, my stain sticks are almost the same recipe, but with 1/2 cup Borax added to the recipe. I'm a great believer in "the easier the better" so I don't wait till trace to add anything -- I just throw the lard, borax, lye water and turpenoid all together and SB to medium trace. And I discount the water heavily -- just over 3-1/2 oz of H2O to the 1 lb of oils.

happyday said:
Mike, my stain sticks are almost the same recipe, but with 1/2 cup Borax added to the recipe. I'm a great believer in "the easier the better" so I don't wait till trace to add anything -- I just throw the lard, borax, lye water and turpenoid all together and SB to medium trace. And I discount the water heavily -- just over 3-1/2 oz of H2O to the 1 lb of oils.

Good to know! Thanks for sharing! :) I won't fuss over it as much next time.

I'm new here and am curious about these "stain sticks"....

Since there is turpentine in this one... first thing that came to mind is that this could be a good soap for a painter or a man who works in the garage a lot and gets dirty with grease, oil, etc. Wouldn't this be a good soap to clean their hands with?

My Dad used to have this special soap he'd use after working out in the garage and getting all greasy.

Would this work?

I have a new batch of these, freshly curing. I used real turpentine.

Will report how they do on various stains.

Ashley, I will be giving a couple of these bars to someone whose hands get quite dirty. It'll take a while to get a report from him, but I'll post when I do.

Will also try a batch of these with the added borax.

Thank you for the recipe!

Victoria, I'm delighted with the turpentine bars. They are good stain removers and last a long time.

I currently have an over-abundance of beef tallow right now.

I wonder if I could substitute the lard for tallow? anyone ever try this with tallow?

thanks!

SoSoapy said:
I currently have an over-abundance of beef tallow right now.

I wonder if I could substitute the lard for tallow? anyone ever try this with tallow?

thanks!

I don't think it would cause any kind of problems

Back