Make your own butters?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megalodon

Reaction score
Hi!

I get Shea, mango and cocoa butters are extracted directly from their plants but I'm wondering about those other butters. For instance, if you look at the ingredient list for avocado butter it lists avocado oil and vegetable oil (or hydrogenated veggie oil) Hypothetically, could I mix equal parts of avocado oil and let's say crisco and make my own avocado butter?

My guess is that I would have an avocado infused crisco mess...

But I am curious if anyone has made any homemade veggie butters before

Thanks!

You can buy a product called LipidThix, which is a hydrogenated vegetabl oil powder for making butters out of oils. I think Susan has a posting on her swiftcraftymonkey blog about using LipidThix. Kinda remember reading it. I have used it and found it a bit tricky but it does work. I am almost positive I read some pointers on her blog. Lotion Crafter sells LipidThix

You can buy a product called LipidThix, which is a hydrogenated vegetabl oil powder for making butters out of oils. I think Susan has a posting on her swiftcraftymonkey blog about using LipidThix. Kinda remember reading it. I have used it and found it a bit tricky but it does work. I am almost positive I read some pointers on her blog. Lotion Crafter sells LipidThix
This is it! Thank you is much, it's exactly what I was looking for. I had a feeling that I could make butters instead of purchasing them and paying for shipping!

And now the butter combinations seems endless! :D

What are you planning on using the butters for? For example, it wouldn't make sense to make a butter to use for soap, and you could have issues in calculating your SAP values. But making butters can help with lotion, lip balms, whipped body butters etc with achieving the desired texture.

This is it! Thank you is much, it's exactly what I was looking for. I had a feeling that I could make butters instead of purchasing them and paying for shipping!

And now the butter combinations seems endless! :D

Do go to the swiftcraftymonkey blog and find the posting from Susan. She had a walk thru for using LipidThix. (there is also another brand but I do not remember the name. Think Susan used Lipid.) As I stated before it is tricky to use.

The sap value will not change enough to worry about it unless doing a tiny batch of soap. I have some pistachio butter and just use the sap value for Pistachio Oil. It works fine

vegethix is the other brand. i forgot who sells this one tho..

What are you planning on using the butters for? For example, it wouldn't make sense to make a butter to use for soap, and you could have issues in calculating your SAP values. But making butters can help with lotion, lip balms, whipped body butters etc with achieving the desired texture.
Truthfully, I was just curious to see if it could be done. I live on an island in Alaska and I'm sure you can guess, but shipping can get quite expensive since everything has to be flown in. I'm always struggling to keep shipping costs down and since most goods are shipped by weight, I wanted to see if there were other possibilities to "lighten" the load :)

Some items (like EO's) can't be shipped by air due to their flashpoint so I use FO's. And for some oils, after the cost of the product plus the cost of shipping the item can equate to around 1.75$/oz of oil. So if there's a possibility to make my own butters, safely and responsibly, it's definitely something worth looking into.

Latest posts

Back