Bacon Soap Idea

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy8

Reaction score
So as many of you know, I am working on making some soaps for men. One of the ideas I had was to do a bacon soap. I was given an idea in another one of my threads to maybe try cooking up some bacon and use the oil from it to incorporate into the recipe. Well of course this got me thinking. So last night I did it and here is the details.

Make 2lbs of bacon and make some delicious bacon, egg, and cheese samiches.
-filter bacon oil through cheese cloth to get out all of the icky stuff
-I then had 4.5oz of oil to work with. Would this be considered a tallow?
-Run 4.5oz of oil through soapcalc
-Mix 1.7oz of water with .6oz of lye
-Let lye cool down considerably or stick in freezer or on ice to cool faster
-Mix lye water with bacon oil/tallow/grease

Note: I was using my new stick blender (the one every soaper seems to have) and I was at it for probably 20 minutes or so and barely got any kind of trace and decided to give it a rest and just pour the stuff and let it sit over night to see what would happen.

-Checked this morning expecting my heart was going to be broken and that it would be a pile of stinky liquid but we have SAPONIFICATION!!!

I will continue this project and see what results come from the bacon soap. Now my plan isn't to use ONLY bacon oil/tallow/grease in the final recipe. I just wanted to use only that in this test so I can see what kind of good or bad soap qualities come out of this and if its even worth making bacon soap with real bacon oil/tallow/grease

Further details in this bacon soap idea is to make a log that is colored in a way to look like bacon and to have "bits" of a darker sprinkles or something that will look something like bacon bits. I haven't settles if this will be something that gets sprinkled on top or incorporated into the log. Starting to wonder if I should make this a salt soap bar or add something else to give it texture. How cool would it be to have the package of the bacon soap say "made with real bacon"? :)

Anyway thought I would give you all an update or inform those of you that did not even know about the original idea that was given to me. I will be sure to keep you posted on this and to try and get some pics in here asap.

Last edited:
I realize you wanted bacon aroma, but you can also clean the oil to get some of the "stuff" out. Using bacon grease is a very old method, since soaping began really. Not sure how you will like it, but it is soap.

Here are some instructions on cleaning the left over kitchen grease. May want to try that as any bits of leftover stuff may make your soap go rancid more quickly.

http://littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/2008/10/if-youre-saying-to-yourself-ivory-i.html

Every time I see this video I get a little chuckle. It is so cute:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5JSank3PyU[/ame]

Very cool. Well the bacon-y smell I was intending was going to come from an FO. The idea of using the bacon grease was one of those "I wonder if..." kind of ideas that happened from another soaper in here. Im at work and unable to watch the video but I will be sure to as soon as I can. :)

Is there maybe a better way of getting that grease/lard without having to invest a ton of money into bacon? I mean 2lbs of bacon and only getting 4.5oz of grease is not much. At least with doing my tallow I got 2lbs of tallow from 3lbs of beef suit.

You can get a pound of lard at walmart for under $2.00. Its armour brand and what I use for all my lard soaps.
31ailLP%2BArL._AA160_.jpg

You can get a pound of lard at walmart for under $2.00. Its armour brand and what I use for all my lard soaps.
31ailLP%2BArL._AA160_.jpg
...and would keep me from having to go through this process. Unless of course I wanted to do it for the sake of the bacon soap. But now isn't Crisco also lard, if I recall?

If you wanted authentic bacon grease just because, you could always add a few ounces to the store bought lard. Crisco is not lard, its all vegetable oils. Walmart brand shortening has tallow in it.

Crazy8, I'm collecting my bacon grease to try this as well. Crisco is a combo of soybean & palm oil.

Thank you for the great info. Well I will see what kinds of qualities the bacon grease lends to a soap and see what I want to do from there. Ill try to give it 4 weeks to cure. I get impatient at times and want to try things NOW!

roseb - I love experimenting as long as its not something that takes forever or is over my head. I do much experimenting with my root beer hobby also. I can tell you now that the grease is kinda stinky to work with but we will see how it goes from here. :)

My grandmother made soap with bacon grease (sausage and ham drippings too) all the time, it came out same way as all her other soap--which was made from lard or tallow or used cooking oils. She's probably rolling in her grave that I buy oils to make soap and use a lye discount...lol

No, Crisco is not lard, it is vegetable shortening. Read the label thought to be sure. I know Walmart makes a GV shortening that I believe has tallow or some such in it though I've not used it.

Well here is my small sample of bacon soap, almost 24 hours old. This stuff is rock hard and yet feels buttery smooth. I have already tried the smaller bar and it gives a lather that is not very bubbly nut is slightly creamy. I will let it sit for 4 weeks untouched and see how it is then.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Soap Making mobile app

1377056918429.jpg

I have a batch of 100% lard. Its very smooth and creamy but not bubbly at all. Its actually one of my favorite bars, its super gentle on my dry skin. Curious as to whether or not their is still salt from the bacon present in your bars, have you tasted them?

I have a batch of 100% lard. Its very smooth and creamy but not bubbly at all. Its actually one of my favorite bars, its super gentle on my dry skin. Curious as to whether or not their is still salt from the bacon present in your bars, have you tasted them?

Cant say the desire to taste them has been there, especially after making it into soap and after smelling that grease when I was working with it. lol

What kind of bacon were you using? My family loves Wright's Brand and Burger's Steak Cut bacon, which are very fatty! I do mine in the oven, and it is very easy to pour off the grease.

If you want a large quantity of true bacon grease, vs using lard, perhaps contact a Waffle House and see if you could get them to save it for you? I would imagine that one or two Sunday's worth of bacon grease from a Waffle House would be a lot! You would probably need to provide some sort of container with a lid for them to pour it into.

I was just using regular commercial brand (I don't recall who). I never thought about a waffle house. I may have to keep in mind if I decide to go that rout.

Latest posts

Back