Mild Soap with Egg Yolk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Happy Friday!
So, tonight I decided to incorporate egg yolk into a soap recipe I hope to be mild enough for those with sensitive skin and children. This is my first time using egg yolk. I really wanted to try it as I hear it gives a beautiful lather. I looked up the SAP value (184.4-190.2) and worked that into the overall recipe using an oil with a similar SAP in the calcs. On the side: for anyone who uses egg yolk, do you consider its SAP or do you just wing it considering it is such a small percentage of the overall recipe?

So, here is my recipe. I know from reading through these posts that there are a ton of uber-knowledgeable soapers on here and I wanted to get your perspective on the overall recipe keeping in mind I want this to be a bar that can be used on the most sensitive skin (I’m not interested in making a Castile, however mild, because most people don’t seem to like the lather). On the side, I didn’t use any fragrance or colorants. Thanks in advance!

P.S. Pictures to come :D

Total Oils (with egg included) 1535
a. Olive Oil—874.95 g (57%)
b. Coconut oil—230.25 g (15%)
c. Mango Butter 122.8 g (8%)
d. Shea Butter-107.45 g (7%)
e. Avocado Oi-92.1 g (6%)
f. Castor Oil—76.75 g (5%)
g. Egg Yolk (x3)- ~30.7 g (2%)
2) Lye
a. Water 460ml (g) of H20
i. Also added sugar to H20(see additives)
b. Lye = 206.6 grams @ 5% superfat
3) Additives
a. 2.5 tbs of sugar to the lye water

Your recipe looks good. When I am making an egg soap I don't worry about SAP values with it. Did you temper your egg yolks before adding to the batch? Also, just in case you didn't know, if you whip the egg whites you can add that to your lye water and then beat it again. I use my SB to do the whipping of the egg whites and again in the lye water. Works a charm... :wink:

Lindy,

Thank you for the feedback! I hadn't even considered adding the egg whites to the lye solution. Brilliant!! I bet that would add an additional element of "silkiness" to the soap from the high protein content of the whites, maybe !?

Back