how to make a sugar soap bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapfan2012

Reaction score
After a successful experience with salt soap bar, I have tried to make a sugar soap bar. And of course failed.
This is how I did.
I rebatched (in oven) 8 oz soap put 4 oz sunflower oil put FO and add 8 oz sugar, it is already 2 weeks and it is still not hard.
Actually, soap and oil did not mix very well but I thought it was OK, I add sugar and put it into the mold, I took it out next day it was soft and it is still soft after so many days, can anyone tell me what happend, what to do with this batch and how to make sugar soap correctly.

So, if I read this right... you took 8 oz. of soap added 4 oz. of additional oil plus the sugar????? It's not going to work. YOu have added 50% more oil to the batch that is not saponified. That alone will make slop. If you're aiming for a sugar scrub in a jar it would work..but as a bar, nope.

Ditto everything lathermaker said.

Not only will adding 50% more oil to your soap cause a mushy soap, but adding that much sugar alone would do the trick all by itself.

Ulike salt, which has a hardening effect in soap even in small amounts, sugar (in large doses) will actually have the opposite effect- i.e. make a soft, mushy soap that never hardens. Over the summer, I made a batch of my normal lard/tallow formula- which is a very hard formula- and experimented by adding 10% sugar ppo to it (twice as much sugar as I normally use, but much less sugar than the amount of sugar you used), and it's still soft to this day.

I've found that the absolute most sugar I can safely add to soap without it becoming (or remaining) soft is 5% ppo (about 2 tablespoons ppo).

IrishLass :)

Ok, now that you've posted those links, those aren't exactly bars of soap to be reused. Those are basically single-use sugar scrubs that have soap incorporated into them to make them rinse off easier. Sugar scrub cubes are supposed to be able to crumble easily to be able to do their job.

Also, from I've read on those threads/pages, you only used 8oz of sugar for 12oz of soap & oils. That right there is going to leave it oilier or more soapy to begin with. From where you said the soap and oils didn't mix well, it sounds like you didn't get the soap melted enough to incorporate the new oil. Your mixture should have around the consistency of a dough once you added in the sugar.

I don't think you can rebatch this again due to the sugar already being in the oils. Sounds like you're going to have to start another batch.

So, 8oz shredded soap melted down with 4oz of new oils. Then add in 12oz sugar, at least that's how I'm reading the Mayren Abashed formulation.

I did rebatch it, it looks like a candy but soaps, nothing supernatural, little bit sticky as it is but usable.
My question is if there is any disadvantage of using such soap... :arrow: :idea:

Latest posts

Back