How much honey to add to soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penderfamily

Reaction score
HI everyone.
Just wondering how much honey should one add to HP? and when should this be added?

For HP do I add 1 tbp or tsp to the water part first before adding the lye? How much exactly?

For hard clays, do I dissolve this first inot water and then add to the HP soap at the end when it's about done, the same way I add my essential oils? About how much 1 tbsp? like per pound?

Thanks bunches!!

I add a generous teaspoon of honey per pound of oils mixed with the fragrance and any other additives after the soap is finished cooking. Once I added it before the cook and the soap turn pumpkin orange and smelled awful. Make really sure the soap is done before adding honey. I double zap test it.

Not sure what the second question means. I don't add anything to the water except for ice and lye.

I am not a big fan of clays but use them for color in a couple recipes. I add a teaspoon per pound of oil when measuring out ingredients and stick blend it in. Less for rose clay as the color is very pink. Clays are not affected by the heat from cooking the soap.

Really? I thought clay since it's kind of herbal would be affected and adding herbs and clays at the end would keep them richer and not cook out the properties and benefits from them.

Sorry Maria, I meant sugar. Do I add the sugar with the water and then add the lye? It's 1 tsp per pound or 1 tbsp? I know this optional but heard some great lather stories about its use.

I think of clay as minerals rather than a botanical. Minerals are not affected by heat. I never tried sugar in the lye water so I don't know how that would work. I would be afraid it would burn during the cooking part. I know honey burns.

Maria this is true so I;m adding honey at the end :) Thanks. I guess I can cook with the clay then right?

I cook with it. I just made 5 pounds of my Rose Garden colored with rose clay a couple days ago and it came out nicely. I never had any problem cooking with the clay in the soap and find it much easier.

That's really good to know, thanks Maria! I'll try that :) I am sure it is easier to blend as well.

Latest posts

Back