What kind of salt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Absinthe

Reaction score
What kind of salt for salt bars?

Iodized, Non Iodized, Sea Salt, Black Salt, Pink Salt, Kosher, Canning, Rock salt, Epsom Salt .... So many salts, so little time :)

Seriously, is there any issue using iodized salt or should i pick up some non-iodized. Would there be any benefit to using any of the other salts?

I have used Iodized table salt and it is lovely. I think the only one that cannot/should not be used is Epsom salts.

Kosher salt might be too coarse, but I suppose it depends on the final effect which you want.

I made some salt bars and I do not like the smell. I used coconut oil and grape seed oil, I scented them with Jasmine EO. Does it take a while for the salt smell to diminish? It is getting better slowly. I used iodized salt.

I use fine sea salt. I believe all the salts that you listed should be fine to use, except for the epsom salts. I've heard too many horror stories of botched batches with epsom.

I made some salt bars and I do not like the smell. I used coconut oil and grape seed oil, I scented them with Jasmine EO. Does it take a while for the salt smell to diminish? It is getting better slowly. I used iodized salt.

All I ever use for my salt bars are ocean scents or lime scents, and they go real well with them. I would think that Jasmine would be a lovely salt soap scent, too. How long ago did you make the soap?

IrishLass :)

I used to use non-iodized, but now use iodized and it's no different.

epson salts are not salt and you will end up with a soggy, weeping mess. another of those "I read not to do it, but I did anyway" experiences that stick in my mind so well LOL.

I've not noticed my salt bars (I often do unscented) having any particular odor - nothing different from unscented bars in general. Maybe it's the EO that you don't like? Or does grapeseed oil add an odor?

Yes... all of them.
I agree that there are too many to just pick one. I just used Himalayan pink salt in a bar and it was superb!
You should try them all and then write a comprehensive review for us!!! :D

I have some rock salt bars curing. They LOOK really cool. :lol: I'll let you know soon. I was wondering why epsom salt won't work, then I looked and saw that instead of Sodium Chloride it is Magnesium Sulfate. It is a mineral, not a salt at all.

Mag Sulfate is actually a salt, it just isn't table salt. However, it is a very hydrophilic salt, and I assume it will hold moisture in the soap preventing it from curing, much in the way that it pulls liquid into your bowel when used as a laxative.

Many mined salts have other mineral inclusions in them thus giving them their distinctive colors (pinik and black) and tastes such at the "eggy" taste of black salt.

I will start with table salt, and as I find deals on the others will give them a shot. I think I will also snag a bit of sea water when next I see the beach and make some soap using that too.

I just started making salt bars and decided on "Canning and Pickling" salt. Mostly because it is pure salt with no additives. Some table salts include anti-caking agents... which may or may not make a difference to your skin... but I figure why risk it?

Ok, picked up some plain old canning and pickling salt, and I am starting to save my citrus zests and planning for this weekend... come on salt soap!!

I figure I will try 100% PPO and dump it in at medium trace.

I use the "Sea Salt" that comes in a round cylinder container just like regular table salt at Wal-Mart. I use it more for label appeal. I call it a 'sea salt bar' as apposed to a 'salt bar'. I'll bet the pickling salt will work just fine.

I can can color it green, add some dill and call it a pickle bar :)

Well, I just use it and give it away anyway so label appeal means nothing to me at the moment.

while I am at it I can try adding some pickling lime to it too. I will have to do some research but it has been used to saponify as well. In the recipe I had for the Fels Naptha soap, they used NaOH, KOH and CaOH in combination somehow, but I haven't seen it discussed anywhere else with that chemistry.

Dill pickle fragrance??? heh, I don't think I'd want to go around smelling like a pickle. :lol:

You can use any sea salt for salt bars. You can experiment by creating small ones and trying to find the right texture that you want.

Back