Soap 2 Go

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I finally got my 0.5 oz tubes for soap paste on Friday. Made some hand soap paste(new recipe), and loaded some tubes. This paste is softer than my usual paste, so I am not sure how it will work long term, but it is absolutely awesome right now! I just used my normal bar soap oils with less superfat.

Here's the current recipe:

Superfat 3%(since this is staying as paste, I will probably go up to 5% on the next batch)

Lard 5 oz(will probably increase this next time)
Coconut oil 5 oz(will probably decrease this next time)
Olive oil 5oz
Castor oil 1 oz
KOH 3.49 oz
Water 10.5 oz
Lemongrass EO 0.5 oz(will probably decrease this next time, takes very little to leave lots of scent on hands)

I am thinking this paste would be excellent as bath soap also with a higher superfat if it stays this soft. Just smear a bit on a washcloth or pouf and lather up. Also a possibility as a shampoo....thinking, thinking.

I have lots of family members that travel a LOT. Having a 0.5 oz tube of soap that can go into a pocket or purse and serve both as hand soap and bath soap would solve lots of problems. Especially for my son, who could use it for shampoo in a crunch(he sometimes has to take trips with less than an hour's notice to pack and go).

What a great idea. Kind of like your own body wash in a tube. I might have to give your recipe a try....still waiting to find the time to make something (anything). Need to make shaving soap, and a bunch of restock but not going to happen. I haven't made soap in soooooo long I'm going through withdrawal. I have my last show this weekend then I'm going to do some fun stuff.

This intrigues me. You are keeping it as undiluted paste for the texture? And because it is more concentrated?
I travel a lot for work, and ships get grubby, and this would be very useful - hand, body and shampoo in a pinch...

Yes, keeping it paste so I can keep it in a tube(thanks DeeAnna!). I used it in the shower just this morning, and I think I need to add sugar for more bubbles. I am posting my WIP recipe so y'all know to not repeat what I think is less than optimal. I am thinking now I will probably go for this on the next batch so it can be used for all 3 in a pinch:

Lard 60%
CO 10%
OO 25%
Castor 5%
Sugar 1 Tablespoon PPO
Superfat 8%

I was also thinking I could put some of my 100% CO paste in a tube for laundry soap/stain removal/dish soap. Still thinking...(thanks DeeAnna!)

Yes, keeping it paste so I can keep it in a tube(thanks DeeAnna!). I used it in the shower just this morning, and I think I need to add sugar for more bubbles. I am posting my WIP recipe so y'all know to not repeat what I think is less than optimal. I am thinking now I will probably go for this on the next batch so it can be used for all 3 in a pinch:

Lard 60%
CO 10%
OO 25%
Castor 5%
Sugar 1 Tablespoon PPO
Superfat 8%

I was also thinking I could put some of my 100% CO paste in a tube for laundry soap/stain removal/dish soap. Still thinking...(thanks DeeAnna!)

What type of tube are you using for this? It's a great idea, but I keep thinking that filling the tubes is going to be a real PITA.

Bravo, Susie! Your idea of using this soft paste soap for shampoo and shower is intriguing. It reminds me a little of the beldi soap paste that some people talk about, but you are reworking it to fit our idea of bathing. Nice!!!

Rhonda --

I can't find the thread now :sad: or I'd direct you there so you can read the discussion for yourself.

Susie is experimenting with lip balm tubes -- the larger 0.5 oz ones, not the little 0.15 oz tubes we mostly see. I get mine at Majestic Mountain Sage (https://www.thesage.com) but I think Susie found her's at another supplier. The large ones fill pretty easily by hand for reasonably small quantities.

Another possibility for a soft gel would be a "tube bottle" (aka tottle, Malibu bottle). One source: http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/PlasticTubes.html And I just saw that SKS also sells larger lip balm tubes.

What type of tube are you using for this? It's a great idea, but I keep thinking that filling the tubes is going to be a real PITA.

I am using 0.5 oz tubes(Essential Bath and Body had the best price/shipping combo). I stuffed the tubes using DeeAnna's "fill it with your fingers" method and tamping down between additions to let the bubbles out. I did poke it a bit with a chopstick at the end to be sure no bubbles remained. This is softer paste than I usually get with liquid soap paste. I am thinking the lard might do that. But it makes it easier to fill and use because it is looser, so I count that as a good thing.

And DeeAnna- you just ROCK! This is just exactly the perfect way to have soap to go!

Don't you think that I should think of the recipe and superfat like I would a bar soap since that is essentially the use it is going to get?(except, of course, the KOH).

Oooo! Very cool idea! A thought is now running through my head......I wonder if with the way I usually make my GLS paste (by bringing it to the flying bubble stage and then letting it sit for 6 hours to become paste on it's own), if I could just pour my still-liquid batter into the tubes once the flying bubble stage is reached, and then let it become paste directly in the tube? Hmmm...... I may have to give this a try!

IrishLass :)

Here's the link to the original discussion. This is one of those things that take on a life of their own. The true power of this forum- sharing ideas and helping one another!

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=50254

And IrishLass- I did think of that, and was hoping you would try it. I haven't quite gotten my paste consistency to where yours is yet. I did CP this paste, and started shoving it into tubes as soon as I checked for zap and it cooled enough to safely handle.

I think if the paste isn't too hot but still pourable, that might work really slick, Irish Lass.

Magestic Mtn Sage warns about filling balm tubes with product that is too hot -- the plastic can warp. They don't say how hot is too hot, unfortunately.

Fun, fun, fun! I love the vibrancy of all these neat folks sparking off each other and coming up with fresh ideas!

Is it the same consistency like toothpaste? Is it sticky because the high amount of castor? Is the soap to go paste dissolve quickly when used?

I sometime use my soap paste before dilute it to see the lather and it doesnt dissolve quickly, or, it is but if I got quite large chunk, there will be some undissolve paste.

Last edited:
And it works! I have one tube left of that original bunch, so I am waiting until it is gone before making more. However, I can tell you that for someone allergic to most commercial "soaps" and especially the ones in doctor's offices and hospitals, having this in my purse is truly just a blessing. And a half ounce tube lasts a LONG time as little as I use it.

It is not sticky from the castor. Not a bit. It would actually help if it was a bit stickier, so I may go up on the amount of castor oil.

Latest posts

Back