Camphor Camo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ugh. My new lavender is camphorous! I should have known that "less camphorous" doesn't mean "not camphorous." Now I do, but I also have 16 oz to use (in cp soaps mostly) before I should order what I really want!

How can I turn this around to something I adore? In other words, what blends would highlight the floral notes (my preference), mask the camphor, or nicely compliment the camphor? I keep thinking mint might compliment it, and vanilla might mask it, though I don't know if I have a knack for envisioning scents. And I can think of nothing that would highlight the floralness except another floral. I have some lilac FO I will try but somehow I don't think this will do it.

Just to be clear, I am not asking for your favorite lavender blends -- though I'll take that too if you are clear that's what you are offering. I want to be able to distinguish camphor solutions.

The catch 22 is that whatever you suggest, I'll probably have to order. So maybe I should just try to find a new lovely floral lavender -- suggestions for this? The EO I've been describing is the "premium" lavender from Soap Making Resource. I really liked the last stuff I had (GloryBee's L. angustifolia) but locally it is very expensive and GloryBee won't ship it up to Alaska.

TIA for your help!

Last edited:
Spearmint, patchouli, ylang ylang, vanilla, rosemary, bergamot, chamomile, citronella, lemon, cedarwood, sandalwood and pine are just a few of the essential oils that blend well with lavender

I like this blend and I think it would probably soften the lavender.

43% lavender
28% rosemary
13% cedarwood
13% spearmint
3% patchouli

Thanks lsg, nice of you to share that. I didn't like my batch of pure lavender soap but hopefully any blend will help. I'm probably over reacting -- just disappointed it wasn't what I expected.

I think you will find that the lavender blends well with a lot of essential oils, softening the camphor odor.

Yay, I feel better already! I will blend away this weekend! I have a few small bottles of other EOs I can play with; maybe I'll discover my favorite blends and place another order for many batches to come :mrgreen:

I don't know a thing about blending scents but I got a sample soap from a local shop that is patchouli and lavender, it may just be a new favorite scent. Its smells great.

Yay, I feel better already! I will blend away this weekend! I have a few small bottles of other EOs I can play with; maybe I'll discover my favorite blends and place another order for many batches to come :mrgreen:
When I test fragrance blends, I use Q-Tips and divide the blends into parts. Store Q-Tips in a plastic baggie so the EOs can blend well.

When I test fragrance blends, I use Q-Tips and divide the blends into parts. Store Q-Tips in a plastic baggie so the EOs can blend well.

What do you mean by: "and divide the blends into parts." You mean something like if you use 5 drops total on every q-tip, you change the ratio of each EO so you can smell the effect of different blends?

I like the idea of putting them in baggies. I haven't done this before but it seems like it would be effective.

43% lavender
28% rosemary
13% cedarwood
13% spearmint
3% patchouli

For the above recipe, I would probably do the following: 3 parts lavender, 2 parts rosemary, 1 part cedarwood, 1 part spearmint and and 2 or 3 drops of Patchouli. Dip 3 Q-Tip ends in lavender, 2 in rosemary, 1 Q-Tip end in cedarwood and 1 Q-Tip end in spearmint with just a couple of small drops of patchouli on another end. Drops all of these in a baggie or small jar, shake up and leave for several hours before smelling.

Wow Isg, what a great explanation. I am thrilled to learn this method. Thanks

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Recently I have been doing a 1:1 lavender patchouli and it is, frankly, divine.

I think patchouli will be effective in softening the camphor note for you.

Typically I mix the e.o.s together first and let them mellow for anywhere from an hour to a couple of weeks or when I next make soap.

Let us know your results!

I have an awfully camphorous lavender as well and I have been blending it with another lav that I like to be able to use it up.

lsg said:
Dip 3 Q-Tip ends in lavender, 2 in rosemary, 1 Q-Tip end in cedarwood and 1 Q-Tip end in spearmint with just a couple of small drops of patchouli on another end. Drops all of these in a baggie or small jar, shake up and leave for several hours before smelling.

djk17 said:
Typically I mix the e.o.s together first and let them mellow for anywhere from an hour to a couple of weeks or when I next make soap.

I have an awfully camphorous lavender as well and I have been blending it with another lav that I like to be able to use it up.

Great ideas, guys. When I get a better repertoire of EOs I will definitely try your blend, lsg; thanks again for sharing. I found some Verbena-Lemon FO in my stash last night and made up two different q-tip mixes. But I put all drops on one head as I hadn't seen lsg's post. I ended up soaping with 60% lavender and 40% V-L FO. It seems a good match but can't help but wonder what a little patchouli might have done to tone down the high notes. Maybe next time! I also like the idea of blending small amounts of the bad lavender with better stuff when I find it (and allow myself to buy it).

It makes a whole lot of sense to meld the scents together awhile so I will find containers to do that for future batches. Soaping is an exercise in foresight and patience, huh!

Latest posts

Back